Logo

Engine Trim Issue

GimpyHSHS

Hey folks! I'll preface this with admitting that I don't know too awful much about boat engines in general...I'm typically a car guy.

I went to use the boat a couple weeks ago after letting it sit since last year. With a hot battery, it fired off nicely. But, I ran into a problem. My trim will not go up or down. I stored it with it in the down position, which may have been a mistake, I'm not sure. It says on the side that the hydraulic unit is under pressure in the down position.

I did some basic troubleshooting. Didn't have a test light handy, but I touched the trim up solenoid control wire to the known hot on the starter solenoid. It does click, both jumping it and with the handheld. I also switched the trim unit power wire to the starter solenoid (also known good, since it cranks the engine over easily) and got nothing. Ground is also good and solidly connected.

The spot for adding hydraulic fluid spit out nice red fluid when I opened it up.

So I would say that I for sure have power going into the trim unit. Problem is that it's in the down position and I don't have a way to really check anything else from there.

How do I go about this one?

So you tried direct power to the trim/tilt motor, (your calling a solenoid), and no motor operation in either direction? (One wire is for up, the other wire is for down). Maybe the motor is froze up from rust......water got in it? Now it's hard to get to it with motor in down position. If your certain that 12v is getting direct to the motor......and no operating noise, then it would have to be stuck motor. The seal must have leaked in some water. It will have to be dismantled and cleaned then. Make sure first that you are getting a strong source of 12v.

Back