Logo

Evinrude 3hp runs for a few seconds and dies

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, I’m kind of a noob to outboard motors although I have worked on many other small engines in the past.

I have a 1960-1963 Evinrude lightwin 3hp outboard motor model number 3042b. I bought it from a guy who had it running 3 months ago and it *should of been* an easy fix

When I first got it I took off the carburetor bowl. It was barely dirty so I just cleaned it out and I made sure the float was level etc but I did not go further than that, I took out the jets and made sure they were clean. It has spark and compression and fuel. When I went to start it the first time it took a couple pulls but would run and no matter how much you messed with the setting it didn’t run longer than 10 seconds. It would start first pull then run for a couple of seconds then die. After a while it wouldn’t start 99% of the time, I did get it to hit once. I checked to make sure there was fuel in the bowl, there was. The carb did leak a little but I think it was due to it being on an incline. The spark on the top cylinder was strong yet it was an orange/purple spark and the bottom cylinder had nice blue spark. Could it be the spark plugs? They are pretty dirty. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. It also needs a new impeller
281f8231-0cf2-4953-84c2-e7b75d861787

Last edited:
I have yet to check, the best I can say is it looks like it should be able to lol. It does NOT look like one coil is weaker than the other because if I put the same spark plug in either of the boots it looks the same. It does make a click sound when it sparks. Also I forgot to say, one of the spark plugs gap looks like WAY too much. Like double of the other one.

Why not do a proper spark test.-----Some will argue, but using the plugs and laying the plugs on the block is a waste of time.----A good universal magneto will produce 28,000 volts and jump a gap of 5/16"

I would, but that would require some pretty serious ninja skills lol. I would have to brace the motor, pull the cord, and hold a screwdriver all at the same time.

Last edited:
Float level can be right, but if the float is original, it can be so saturated, that it is not work the way it should, perhaps it wont float anymore. Carburettor should not leak at anytime, what kind of leak you have from the carburettor? If you have carburettor on your table, it is good to clean and check it carefully. New gaskets and other parts for these carburettors are easy to find with low price. Spark-plugs must be good condition with right gap. Is the choke working properly way? I have 3hp from 1966 which i have rebuild, so nice engines. Hopefully your engine will work well soon. Have a look about 3hp project from here: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?451657-Evinrude-3hp-1966-rebuild

The float is not saturated and floats. As for the leak, it’s a slow drip from the bottom of the intake manifold that drips onto the High speed adjustment. The choke works as well. I bought it from this guy who half rebuilt it so it’s been gone through.

I’m pretty sure it’s the bowl gasket that’s leaking as it did look pretty crusty. I didn’t replace it because I didn’t have one on hand lol

I just tapped and cleaned the spark plugs. Will be replacing the bowl gasket later in the week when it comes in. The gapping on the plugs were 0.060 and 0.030. Hoping that will let it run now that they’re both in spec now.

Ok it runs better-ish now

the fluid leaking out of the carburetor is a yellow green and it’s leaking around the bowl gasket and it smells like gas. The yellow green color looks like the old oil which I was not able to fully clean out of the carburetor. I think I just need to tear apart the carb again and do a better job of cleaning it lol.

Ok I have determined it’s a carburetor issue. It likes to be really rich and choke. Also If I let it sit for a minute or two it starts first pull and revs all the way up to the desired rpm then dies. It has the original brass fuel tube and the flow out of it isn’t too bad and there is gas in the carb so I think it’s the jets are clogged by the old oil or debris. Any other possibilities?

Ok I have determined it’s a carburetor issue. It likes to be really rich and choke. Also If I let it sit for a minute or two it starts first pull and revs all the way up to the desired rpm then dies. It has the original brass fuel tube and the flow out of it isn’t too bad and there is gas in the carb so I think it’s the jets are clogged by the old oil or debris. Any other possibilities?

I’m just running pump gas with extremely good oil at 50:1 (Klotz SuperTechniplate).

I couldn’t get any other type even if I wanted to. It runs though and it runs good. A couple pulls when cold then first pull every time when warm.

its roughly tuned now. I will have to fine tune it on the lake.

Back