Logo

1957 18hp Fastwin

shinola

Contributing Member
Hi all. Starting to plan for a new restoration. I believe I'll need a new powerhead for this one. It looks like it go water in the block. What years of Johnson or Evinrude are identical with the '57 Evinrude 18?

Powerhead base bolt pattern was changed around 1959-ish. Also puddle drain system change around 1967-ish and again 1972-ish. Do your homework.

Hi, can a 1962 powerhead work? Wasn't happy with one spot in that '58 cylinder. I think it will work but asking confirmation from a mentor out there.

Here is the 62 Johnson.....will this work for our shinola project?
One bolt is broke if you look closely. I will fix that up for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_195949221_compress38.jpg
    IMG_20201023_195949221_compress38.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks, Gator, hope you can recover your information. A loss of a computer can be devastating.....even a cell phone loss. Got Cloud on this Verizon phone. Guess I'm gonna have to set a 57 next to this 62 and compare. Got 3 other 57's here....that I picked up with rust. Others are good and shouldn't be parted out. Have a few newer 18's too for parts. Racer says they could work, but didn't sound too certain. Gonna have to call Tim's Outboard, might be they have swapped them around.

I believe the 1957 base pattern is like this one. Ignore the note---picture was saved for another purpose. Now using my laptop, whatta pain.

Attachments

• Drain Valves 3.jpg
    Drain Valves 3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 47
Thanks. Looks quite a bit different, especially around the crankshaft area. The 5 bolts under the cylinder might line up, but that's it.

Does anyone know if a '52 14 hp powerhead would work? Got a nice one here too. Probably should fix the motor, but it's missing a lower cowling on port side. Haven't been able to find one.

Last edited:
Okay....kinda thought so, it has separate timing/throttle.....remember them? Very fast for 14 hp. There is a sweet running one on YouTube. I like the front feed fuel line too. Here I thought I had a nice powerhead for the OP. Interchangeability is not as broad as one may think. I have lots of these around, but they are too nice to parts out. Have another source yet, OP, so give me a couple more days.

Dan, at Tim's Outboard in Hackensack said he thinks they made the mounting change when OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) went to the single line tanks. He thinks he has a power head for me but is going to run it by Mike who is more into the vintage outboards.

Right, Dan mentioned that exactly. The older mounting pattern gave much better access to all parts, then came the 59 and up fiberglass cowling......Note: With the old, tighter fitting flip up cowling design, they never got dropped or blew off going down the road. So in review, we have decided that the last year for pressure tank was 59, but also the first year for new bolt/mounting pattern. Right?

Last edited:
I've found a 58 Johnson 18 powerhead for a good price. timguy, your PM box is full again. Please PM me a picture of the 9.5 head.

thanks.

Even Dan and Mike at Tim's Outboard are sold out of those years of 18's. When I get some time I'm gonna look how to modify the 1961, 62, 63 blocks to possibly fit. I have at least 5 good ones here. Since I alum weld MIG, I think it can be done.

Back