Logo

Need a little help on a motor year please

rpatton

I blew up my lower unit on my Johnson 90hp last weekend. attached is a picture of the id plate. also are there lower ends that fits multible years or are thgear sets all the same. not sure if i am going rebuild myself or just replace with a used one.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1606.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1606.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 28
The ---EE----Would indicate a 1999 model year.------I believe there is a weakness in the design of these units.-----Many have gone ---" BOOM " ---with broken gear teeth.-----There is an aftermarket option.-------Also older ( better ) units can be fitted.----Easy to overhaul yourself.------Your dealer can do the important shim calculation in minutes with the factory tool.------Your location ?

Last edited:
If you replace gears you will need to do the shimming.-----Take it apart first.----Couple of screws and the bearing carrier comes out.-----Likely find broken teeth on the gears.-----An all too common failure on these units.---New factory parts are big $$$

If you replace gears you will need to do the shimming.-----Take it apart first.----Couple of screws and the bearing carrier comes out.-----Likely find broken teeth on the gears.-----An all too common failure on these units.---New factory parts are big $$$
So I should be looking for a replacement unit instead of rebuilding?

These SEI units are brand new I believe.----I for one find it hard to believe how they can assemble these units for what they are selling them for and make a profit.----I have reason to believe some or all the parts are from offshore.---Assembled in the USA.

i will pull it apart but most likley look for a used one. this boat is a peice of **** that i use for fishing the bay. really do not want to dump alot of money into it.

Back