Logo

Spitting gas from air orifice above the throttle?

JamesRo

1988 40 Horse Evinrude. VRO
It WTO fine and idles fine.
I've been through the carburetors twice. There's no idle air adjustment screw. It's spitting gas out of the air orifice above the throttle. Could this have something to do with the timing? Or reeds/ leaf valves? Lack of compression? Too much compression? Worn plugs? I'll help as much appreciated!

No such thing as " too much compression " causing this.-----Not worn sparkplugs either.----Is it doing this on both carburetors ?-----It could well be normal.

No such thing as " too much compression " causing this.-----Not worn sparkplugs either.----Is it doing this on both carburetors ?-----It could well be normal.

Yes it's doing this on both carburetors. It's a little much. It winds up on the river you can see it on the water. I have the floats correctly positions there's nothing else to do to the carburetor it's not sucking enough air through the air orifice. But it runs all right. Where the stem comes up from the bowl all the way to the top of the carburetor there is a little lead filling looking sealed area. It may be clogged up there. I don't know how to work on that. Could the timing be causing this?

Last edited:
Timing on these motor does not change for the life of the motor.------Other than flywheel key having sheared.----And or an owner molesting the timing.----Check your flywheel key.

Flywheel key is okay. However I see scratch Mark arrow on the flywheel indicating someone may have tampered with the timing or at least checked it.

This is different than your other posts you stated it was just top carb ..here you state both??,................Which is it????

0h, I'm so sorry. Do you have a solution for either, or? Or for neither, nor? What's your answer for a carburetor(s) spitting gas from the air orifice? I'm open to either a solution to why one and not the other as well as both doing the same thing. It is both doing the same thing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes sir this helps a lot. I'm not sure where the gas goes with the drain hose connected but I see a lot less gas on the water. In areas on the River where it's no wake zones I trim up for a little faster speed with little wake. When I get past there I stop and fish. This is where I would see gas the worst on the water because the motor was trimmed forward. But yes I think it's a lot less if I don't trim up and leave the drain hose connected.

Pappy is the solution, he will explain what's happening. Need him back on this post. It is not good to have fuel on the water......something is not good. If OMC engineered a motor to leave gas floating on the water........then my name is "Some Ting Wong".

I get it. Apparently pappy would rather argue about whether or not it's one or two carburetors doing it. I have explained to him it's both of them.

Right, I knew where this was headed when you couldn't read correctly. You have no clue. You don't know. That's why you started an argument as to rather it's one or two carburetors. Read you like a book of boring jokes. Actually I've always indicated two carburetors. Common sense says the problem is most likely identical. One, two or three children. It's easy to buy time trying to figure it out like a 4th child. What were you doing, Googling? Pappy go argue in the mirror. 1 or 2? hahahaha. In the future. Please don't question the question. You'll appear much more intelligent just guessing.

He did not. I guess his feelings are hurt because he couldn't answer unless he could figure out how many carburators were acting up. He just chose my question for some reason to make a statement; only he has the correct answers.
For the record. At least 3 out of 4 honest people generously offered a sincere explanation to help a fellow boater. And I appreciate their help.

0h, I'm so sorry. Do you have a solution for either, or? Or for neither, nor? What's your answer for a carburetor(s) spitting gas from the air orifice? I'm open to either a solution to why one and not the other as well as both doing the same thing. It is both doing the same thing. Thanks.

James... The question from Fazbullet, a serious minded OMC technician of many years with vast knowledge of your engine, was a polite, serious and honest one. Your reply (above), apparently due to jumping to the conclusion that he might just be a drifter that stopped in and was shooting from the hip came across to all, I'm sure, as arrogant and insulting and resulted in the predicted and anticipated replies. Really not one of your wisest actions my friend. Best to be cautious in how one reads ones offer of help.

Thank you, Joe. I think we resolved the personality issue? I feel Mr. Tim has contributed the most thoughtful answers. Do you have an answer? I'm getting private messages offering good help without trying to internet bash. It's all over the place. If anyone else has an answer I certainly will listen.

Thank you, Joe. I think we resolved the personality issue? I feel Mr. Tim has contributed the most thoughtful answers. Do you have an answer? I'm getting private messages offering good help without trying to internet bash. It's all over the place. If anyone else has an answer I certainly will listen.

Answered & received via your other post... reeds/leaf valves.

A few words posted by a true friend;
Sometimes helping others pays off! At 06:30 this morning I got a phone call from a gator hunter with motor problems and stuck 1 mile from the landing on Lake Jackson, I didn't know them, they googled Baitshacks on Lake Jackson and got my number. They asked for help off the lake and I very reluctantly agreed because of impending rain & wind, and because I have a standard outboard motor that doesn't work well in the weeds where their Mud motor had stranded them. It was a lot like work just getting to them, and worse trying to pull them in! I finally succeeded and one of them handed me a few folded dollars that I didn't look at, told them it it wasn't necessary because of the "code" (boaters help other boaters no matter what).

Back