Logo

Winterization Drain Plug Locations

ignisuti

Engine Serial number 0F288991.

I found 3 plugs, but all the YouTube videos I saw showed 5. I looked again and again, but don't see the plugs that are supposed to be directly on the block on the port and starboard sides. I've also looked at the online diagrams, but didn't find any plugs on the block. Is it possibly my engine only has 3 plugs???

Please help. The temperatures are dropping!

there should be 2 plugs in the block about in the middle just above the oil pan gasket.
pics of your engine would help. serial number has it a 4.3 2bbl or 4 bbl standard cooling

https://youtu.be/Qn-Q7ctJEmM

this shows where the drain plugs are on block sides above pan rail. Depending on your exact system there may be drain plugs where he removed gather hoses under the exhaust manifolds . Not how much water comes out each side of block and how he mentions probing it with a wire if not

That’s a good vid to show the location. The one on the starboard side of the motor is right in front of the starter, the one on the port side is between the oil filter mount and the engine mount. You have to get down low to see them.....If you have the plastic ones be careful they can break if you tighten then too tight. They have an o ring so you don’t need to get them that tight. I have the same brass ones my engine came with; if yours are metal just put a bit of gasket sealer (Merc Perfect Seal or Evinrude gasket sealer) on the threads.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I found them!
Space is very tight in my engine bay. I literally had to stick my upper torso down there kicking my legs up into the air!!!

The two in the block were metal 1/4" allen screws, not blue plastic plugs like the other 3. Couldn't get enough torque with my set of allen keys. So, I went to the auto parts store and bought a allen key socket set. That did the trick!

Back