Logo

Salt Neutralizing Products

bobbyc

Advanced Contributor
I have always thoroughly fresh water flushed my motor before winterizing it. This year I was considering a salt removing agent as well. Does anyone have any experience using these products. Are there any negative experiences?IMG_1179.PNG

I have used salt removing agents without issue I think. It seemed my Yamaha 6 HP was being clogged where the telltale hose connected at the powerhead. I kept putting a piece of weed whacker monofiliment up into it and spinning it, even with a drill. It would then clear and a nice stream would come out. It would then clog again. This went on for quite a while. I ran the motor in a salt removing product and it worked well. A lot of salt and loose debris would be expelled. So much that the telltale became more and more clogged. I had to keep using the monofiliment to loosen the small bits which kept loosening up and gathering at the relief point. This went on again for a while and I wondered if the product had actually caused a bad problem to become worse. It did to a point but the end result was a strong, very strong stream at the telltale. That was my experience, might not happen to you. All in all I believe it saved the engine as it has been running well with a strong pee stream ever since. If I get a hold of a salty engine, I often do, I will use a product on hand . If I dont have any I just use white vinegar . It too helps to elimate salt buildup and residue and its a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
If you always flush the engine on the hose after use, I wouldn't think a one time application would be cost effective.

Back