Logo

J30RCDM motor with a Evinrude 35 crankcase & Cyl?

rosri9o

Hi All!
Looking for info here...my motor has a model number of J30RCDM. Upon poking around and looking at the part number on the cylinder (just aft of there the fuel pump bolts on), I see a shiny plug with this part number: E35000ELCIG. There is a second number below on the same plug: E0005419. There is also an M with a in a square stamped on it.

Is this an Evinrude number? If so, what year or model would this be from? Im uessing that the E35 in E35000ELCIG means it is a 35Hp?

How do I know if I have a 30 or 35 hp motor?

Is the serial # on the block the same as the serial # on the mid section ?----The M thingy is the OMC trademark I think.------And a 35 HP crankcase would be physically the same part as a 30 HP.----I think the powerhead has been replaced.

Last edited:
Easy part first. the squared M is OMC's trademark.

It would appear that somebody has put a 1981 Evinrude powerhead on your 1986 Johnson...if in fact you do have a '86 Johnson. As for how many ponies, there is precious little difference. Also, it might depend on what else, if anything, was swapped.

If it really matters to you you can sit down and study the parts lists.

EDIT: racer types faster than me.

Is the serial # on the block the same as the serial # on the mid section ?----The M thingy is the OMC trademark I think.------And a 35 HP crankcase would be physically the same part as a 30 HP.----I think the powerhead has been replaced.
Serial # on the part that clamps to transom is E6191298. Is that the mid section? I apologize for not knowing the terminology yet

The entire set up seems to work well well. I've had it in the water and it went like stink, then like poop because the carb needed service. No real reason to worry it it all works, right?

You are mixing gas and oil at 50:1 ?----Did you install a new water pump impeller ?-----How / why did you determine that the carburetor needs service ?

You are mixing gas and oil at 50:1 ?----Did you install a new water pump impeller ?-----How / why did you determine that the carburetor needs service ?

In my own head it made sense,I guess. The motor was sitting outdoors for 2 years. It started up and ran well once it had fuel. While out on the water just as it was the needle valve fell out, so I got a new retainer and tried setting that needle valve by turning until it ran rough, but it would always run the same (very rough)...so I got a kit and re did carb.

No water pump yet, but soon.

I'm using Amsoil at their recommended rate.

Back