Logo

1995 Johnson 9.9 Model J10REOE starting problems

Ottawa_Rob

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around reading as much as I can before asking questions. Reading helped me fix up a 1972 Johnson 6hp (head gasket and thermostat) and now I'm working on a 1995 9.9 and not having much luck.

Purchased the motor knowing that it had not been used for a few years. Did a compression test before the purchase and read 110psi in both cylinders.
The owner had tried to look at the fuel pump and left out the gasket between the pump and powerhead. I purchased a kit and rebuilt the fuel pump, changed spark plugs and checked the spark (lots of spark and jumping a gap) before attempting any kind of starting.

After all that, I used a known working tank (works with my 6hp) and tried to start it. Pump the bulb and I can hear the bowl filling and then the bulb gets hard. No leaks in the fuel lines but no bang.

Pulled off the carb breather/silencer and found a mouse nest inside. Pulled the carb and ordered a rebuild kit, which I installed today. Followed instructions for setting the float etc, and have returned the side idle screw to the original position. Reassembled everything and it's still not starting. It is a plastic topped carb but I don't see cracks in the plastic.

Adding fuel directly to the cylinder and I get a few cycles as it burns off the fuel. When I pulled the plug to add fuel, the plug was a little wet so it seems like it's getting fuel but I don't feel like it's flooding as I don't get a gas smell.

I need to find a good spray bottle to try spraying fuel directly into the carb.

Any help is appreciated before I bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

Rwbutler, the choke is working and I did verify the gasket when I put the new one in.

racerone, you hit the nail on the head. Pulled the manifold and found shells stuck in the reed valves. The gaskets on both sides tore taking them off so I'll have to order some new ones and wait to put it back together.

I will follow up once it's back together.

Gaskets coming tomorrow (Oct 20th).

Should I use anti seize, locktite or nothing on the bolts?

Any one know the torque value for the manifold bolts?

Success! Primed the bulb, closed the choke and the 9.9 was running on the third pull. Took it out for an on water test this afternoon and hit 31.5km/h (~19.5miles/h) on the GPS. Pushing a 12ft tinny, with 280lbs of people and a couple gallons of gas.

Back