Logo

winterize w/o starting - raw water side?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
So it looks like my engine buyer has flaked so I have the 454's listed if anyone is looking for a pair with straight drive transmissions. If for some reason they don't sell until the spring, is there a way I winterize the raw water side without running them again?

They're removed and inside where I store my boat. Fortunately I already did oil/filter change. I just don't have an easy way to move them, bring them outside and get them running again. Can I get away with draining and maybe compressed air?

thanks
Bob

.................. is there a way I winterize the raw water side without running them again?

They're removed and inside where I store my boat. Fortunately I already did oil/filter change. I just don't have an easy way to move them, bring them outside and get them running again. Can I get away with draining and maybe compressed air?

Bob, the only reason I can see for running them again, would be if you wanted to fog the cylinders.

As for draining any water..... if you open up the drain ports, and if you probe them (to clear any rust scale), water should drain out.

If you want that "Feel Good Feeling", you could pour AF into the cooling jackets, but I'd suggest draining it again afterwards.

Just plain ole AIR will not freeze expand and ruin our expensive cast iron components.
It never has, and it never will!

I would pull the zinc plugs from the oil cooler and heat exchanger...then deal with the raw water pump - either plug the drain plugs and spin the pump over or pop the cover free. the last thing I'd do would to be clear the riser/elbow assemblies (depending upon what you have)...most have the raw water inlet at the bottom (aft) and can be drained by just pulling the hose free...

If all the drains are open and you use compressed air that may help push some of the water out .... and notice I said some of the water....not all of the water will be blown out......... as long as you drain the best you can and leave the drains OPEN so that if freezing occurs, the water freezing has a chance to expand without being compressed by a closed system and then cracking something... you should be ok.

Many boaters here in the Great White North do that ...me ??? I run antifreeze through the entire system never had a problem in 40 years

Are these engines fitted with Closed Cooling Systems?
If so, your concerns will be the components that are not within the CC system..... such as exhaust manifolds (half system), exhaust spacers/risers and exhaust elbows, and the seawater side of the heat exchangers.

Hi, thanks guys... I should be in good shape then on winterizing. Luhr’s 40, yes I’ll drop you an email with details. Location is Connecticut and yes, these are closed cooled engines.

QUOTE=RicardoMarine;700388]According to his location info....... New Haven, CT.

[/QUOTE]

Back