Logo

95 Mercruiser 350 Magnum Tournament Ski engine oil

pwskicat

Regular Contributor
Serial #OF652552. I've been using Quicksilver 25W-40 FC-W conventional for $24/gal. from Walmart. Bass Pro sells their store brand with the same viscosity and FC-W rating for $13/gal. Both are NMMA-approved.

So, is this a “You get what you pay for” situation, or should I use the Bass Pro?

Many thanks for your help, PW

FC-W is a specification that establishes minimum performance for both engine oil viscosity (vs temp) and corrosion resistance ( additives) ..... note....minimum levels. Usually a "house brand" is just as good as some other vendors normal product. The question(s)... who is the actual house brand's supplier.... and to what extent does the product exceed the minimums of the specification.

Thanks for yr reply. According to NMMA certification:

Certificate # Product Supplier
FC-00823NQuicksilver 25w40Mercury Marine

FC-704576YBass Pro 4-Stroke Oil 25W-40Amalie Oil Company

Somehow I don't think Mercury has its own refinery, chemistry and packaging operations. And Bass Pro identifies their supplier, which is a global producer of automotive and specialty lubricants. Looks like I'm going with Bass Pro.

Oh No... Make sure you save that $11.00

On 3/31, I took a 30% pay cut to keep my job and medical benefits. Now I make less money than I did 20 years ago. Glad you can afford to waste money wherever and whenever you please. Growing up in a house where ends just barely met, I never learned that habit and I'm glad of it. Just keep your smarta&# remarks to yrself.

Then sell the boat if you're so hard up. Really, it's hard to justify keeping it if it is such a drain on your finances.
But to answer the question, you cannot go wrong using straight 30 wt in the gallon jugs from Walmart. As long as it meets API requirements for SJ (which covers your engine year) you're OK. The current API rating is SP as of March 2020. In a marine engine, which gets oil changes far more frequently that a car engine, you will be fine using the straight heavy duty stuff. You don't need a multi-viscosity since you are not operating it in winter conditions.

Serial #OF652552. I've been using Quicksilver 25W-40 FC-W conventional for $24/gal. from Walmart. Bass Pro sells their store brand with the same viscosity and FC-W rating for $13/gal. Both are NMMA-approved.

So, is this a “You get what you pay for” situation, or should I use the Bass Pro?

Many thanks for your help, PW

For about the same cost and from the same place (Wally world). Purchase Mobile One 15w-50w synthetic oil.

I have been using Mobile One in all my engines for well over 30 years, Boat (1987) 15w-50w, Truck 10w-30w (1998), Motorcycle 20w-50w Vtwin
I also use Mobile One 15w-50w for all boats I service.

1) I'm not hard up, just thrifty. Sometimes I save a little money, or when my buddy was about to pay $600 for a new rudder for his 25 year-old ski boat, I saved him a lot with a salvage piece for $200. People have hobbies. One of mine is saving.
Z) The reason I can keep the boat is because I've always lived well below my means. It's not a hardship, it's financial security. When the sewer line at my house broke and the $4K repair bill came due, I wrote the check without a care.
3) I wasn't talking to you.
D) Know I can always count on yr sympathetic ear. /S

Back