Logo

Reman 4.3 mercruiser ?

Thanks makomark !
Reason asking customer brought in Jan.-Feb. this yr. A basket case. Shop that had boat went out of business for lack of business and workmanship. 2009 runabout. Motor was broke down, heads, intake , throttle body carb. , exhaust mans. and risers in a box. Motor was still in boat and set outside and rained in. (rusted up). They left the merc. cool fuel pump on. Customer also brought a remanufactured motor still attached to pallet that was stored inside. I want name reman. co. Reason motor was thought to be bad, gen2 lower unit was coming apart on upper drive gears. It was a wrong diagnosis. It wasn't motor. I take rusted motor out , install reman. Motor with intake tb carb. an cool fuel pump, sucked old fuel from tank added fuel /water sep. Installed motor as I normally do. Hooked up laptop (Meds diag. program) set in base mode, set timing at 8° , lake tested boat for 1 hr. ran great. Customer picks up boat and is told about break in instructions. Customer uses boat for 5 months no problems. Said he's alternator went bad and he replaced. Next weekend he hit something and spun hub (prop)
We replaced hub.an prop. Customer goes out next weekend and blows hole in # 4 piston. He's in middle of lake, sends video of smoke coming from arrestor. Told customer to get towed in , can't , so drives it back to ramp. Reman. Co. Doesn't want me to pull head. Compression test #4 is 0, leak down test obviously leaking up through oil fill cap. I pulled valve cover on port to look at valves&springs, reman. co. Says pull motor and send to them. Once motor was out I could look in spark plug hole and see piston was trashed. Remanufactured Co. Sends us pics. of all piston scored? Yes they are scored cause it was pumping all oil oil blowed cylinder.
Then said it was caused by a lean condition. Please if u read this give me your opinions.
THANKS.

In my opinion, the remanufacturer should tell your customer to eat it. He had the engine purchased and sitting for who knows how long, then used it trouble free for at least 5 months. Then, after an accident, expects the remanufacturer to give him a new fresh engine for free.

Man this is a bucket of $hit the more u stir it the more it stinks.

Did you check the plugs To verify mixture before you gave it to him?

If it’s lean it will be so obvious in the engine not just that cylinder. My buddy reached his seadoo engine one carb was plugged and left a cylinder lean,tha5 piston looked like someone beat it with a pick axe, other cylinder was normal. You would not think those cylinders were in the SamE engine. Was unbelievable what running lean would do to an engine.

hopefully rebuilder sent pics of torn down engine? If it’s lean it’s on the customer IMHO, but not sure if he will be looking to dip into your pocket ... or expect you to fix.

Back