Logo

1995 Evinrude 50 hp lower unit and drive shaft questions

Good afternoon, I hope everybody is safe and well during these crazy times. I have a question regarding a 1995 50 hp triple that I picked up this summer. I’ve just dropped the lower unit to change the impeller and noticed some deep galling or gouging in the shaft up near the spine section.

It appears that the shaft was rubbing intermittently. The gouging is heavier on one side than the other indicating to me that it’s bent. Or flexing under load and grinding against something. The shaft does not look bent when I rotate it by hand. ( although I can only rotate it slowly so it’s hard to tell) I also noticed that it appears there’s a groove from a seal.

Further inspection found that there is a rumbling inside the lower unit when I rotate the shaft by hand. This rumbling stops when I lift upwards on the shaft while rotating.

Any thoughts on where I should go from here? I don’t want to button it up if there’s some serious issues.

I have not had this running in the water yet. I’ve only run it on a stand on muffs. So I can’t say if there’s any noise coming from the unit during operation. It also came to me with a large four blade prop on it if that helps determine any causes.

I’m uploading some photos, hopefully they work out. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 58FFDDA6-A338-4369-A59E-317B52609F9F.jpg
    58FFDDA6-A338-4369-A59E-317B52609F9F.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 16
  • C1AC52DA-A710-452A-A72A-75456E252AC5.jpg
    C1AC52DA-A710-452A-A72A-75456E252AC5.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 15
Good afternoon, I hope everybody is safe and well during these crazy times. I have a question regarding a 1995 50 hp triple that I picked up this summer. I’ve just dropped the lower unit to change the impeller and noticed some deep galling or gouging in the shaft up near the spine section.

It appears that the shaft was rubbing intermittently. The gouging is heavier on one side than the other indicating to me that it’s bent. Or flexing under load and grinding against something. The shaft does not look bent when I rotate it by hand. ( although I can only rotate it slowly so it’s hard to tell) I also noticed that it appears there’s a groove from a seal.

Further inspection found that there is a rumbling inside the lower unit when I rotate the shaft by hand. This rumbling stops when I lift upwards on the shaft while rotating.

Any thoughts on where I should go from here? I don’t want to button it up if there’s some serious issues.

I have not had this running in the water yet. I’ve only run it on a stand on muffs. So I can’t say if there’s any noise coming from the unit during operation. It also came to me with a large four blade prop on it if that helps determine any causes.

I’m uploading some photos, hopefully they work out. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Put in the impeller,change out the lube and go fish.

Back