Logo

1997 Johnson OceanRunner Impeller change question

n36511

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I am about 600 miles away from my boat and will be heading down in a couple of weeks to vaca and do some maintenance to the boat. One item I need to tackle is an impeller change. Last time I was out the steady stream of water from the pee hole stopped. Fortunately I was near my dock and got it back without issue. On the inboards I have owned, anytime an impeller failed I had to go through a backflush process to find all of the missing tines and get them out of the cooling system. Is this something I have to do on this circa 1997 oceanrunner? If so, can someone advise as to the process of finding the missing tines/vanes (not sure what the impeller paddles are actually called).

Thanks for the help!

Scott

I've had small fragments lodge in the Tell Tale before. I had to clean it several times after an impellor went south to finally get all the tiny rubber pieces out. If you are seeing this you may want to check your thermostats. I have the same motor. The thermostat covers go on with a rubber gasket so it's literally a 5 minute check.

Back