Logo

BF 200 valve adjustment

Kstafford

Contributing Member
I am 30 hrs shy of 400 and wondering if I should hold off on this adjustment till the end of next season were I will be around 450 hrs. Thoughts?

If the engine still idles smoothly, you can probably hold off. If it is shaking at idle, then they probably need to be adjusted now.

A while back, Ian posted this...

Disregard the manual and set the inlets at .010" and exhaust .012".

"Disregard the manual and set the inlets at .010" and exhaust .012".
(Equals .25 mm and .305 mm respectively)

Well, that's a really expensive engine to be pushing the scheduled maintenance out past the recommended interval.

Just my opinion though.

Good luck.

I agree jgmo not a lot to do and motors Multiplied by two are definitely not cheap. I was just looking for the moral majority and as always you get a wide realm of answers. My starboard motor tends to lope or hunt or idle a bit funny at times like chawk suggested I will start their thanks to all.

So I did the starboard motor today and only tightened 2 intake valves and had to loosen 5 out of six of the exhaust valves if anyone is interested.

Tight valves not good. You did well to take care of that. Now you have to wonder which way your port engine is trending as the hours tick by.

To be honest I did not check but there was seemingly no play at all in the rockers when I checked them so I would guess none. I tried to get the .010” under them because it was handy and that did not work.

Glad you got rewarded for the effort.

You've proven that not all valve seats are equal in the way they wear.

And remember, 0.000" lash = burned valve eventually.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back