Logo

Hard boat steering

Novecento

Hello everyone. I have just registered on this wonderful forum. I apologize immediately for my English google, I am writing to you from southern Italy. I recently purchased a Quicksilver 500 pilothouse with a Mariner 40 60 efi orion engine. The steering is with power steering which works very well but the engine goes very hard to rotate. I tried, after disassembling the grease nipple, to spray some WD40 in the stem, to spray everything and more, to continue to grease (the good one from Quick). Everything has improved but still remains tough enough to steer. Would you be kind enough to give me some advice to get better results? the thing I don't want to do is disassemble the whole engine to replace the bushings because it would be too expensive for me.
I hope this is the right section to ask this question, otherwise I apologize for that.
Thanks very much to those who want to come to my aid

What do you mean by 'power steering'?

A boat that small would typically just use a cable...a hydraulic steering system would be overkill - nice but not necessary.

I would suggest disconnecting the outboard's steering link and then try pivoting the outboard and rotate the steering wheel...one will have much resistance and the other will likely have little resistance. If it is the steering wheel that remains difficult to turn, then you likely have corrosion within the support tube, where the cable rides...

[QUOTE = makomark; 700078] Cosa intendi per "servosterzo"?

Una barca così piccola normalmente userebbe solo un cavo ... un sistema di governo idraulico sarebbe eccessivo - bello ma non necessario.

Suggerirei di scollegare il collegamento dello sterzo del fuoribordo e quindi provare a ruotare il fuoribordo e ruotare il volante ... uno avrà molta resistenza e l'altro probabilmente avrà poca resistenza. Se è il volante che rimane difficile da girare, è probabile che tu abbia corrosione all'interno del tubo di supporto, dove scorre il cavo ... [/ QUOTE]

Hi Makomark thanks for the reply. Maybe it is more correct in English hydraulic steering? Yes I know it is superfluous even exaggerated to have but it was already on the boat when I bought it. The hydraulic steering system runs well but it is the engine that does not rotate or rotate but very hard. That's all : rolleyes:

if the steering is smooth and free and the outboard will not pivot, sounds like the outboard has not been maintained (regular lubrication). I would suspect the swivel tube is bound up by corrosion. Sometimes, heat from a torch will free up the assembly...but is has to be applied carefully to keep from damaging the rest of the assembly.

Some people have removed the grease fittings and applied a good penetrating oil thru the threads...and then worked the unit back and for until it frees up...

Thanks again, kind friend from overseas. It was exactly as I imagined ... little or no maintenance from the previous owner.
I have already tried everything, heat with the torch, disassemble the grease nipple and spray everything and more inside. It has improved very little but I have also almost destroyed the hydraulic steering for a lot of effort. Now I make the last attempt with a product that will arrive tomorrow from NORTHAMPTON (GB) but I believe it is an American product (SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP)
Greetings from the far south of Italy

[QUOTE = makomark; 700130] potresti anche considerare "PB Blaster", gasolio e "KANO KROIL" .... [/ QUOTE]

I will use this too and "whoever lives will see" (Italian idiom) :)
Thanks again friend

Back