Logo

cm 454xl fuel issue no start

domer94

[FONT=&quot]do these pumps sometimes go erratic when they are starting so die? Or is it a case of just crapping out. I have a no start issue on port motor, I can hear the pump run when ignition is on but I’m not getting fuel to the carb. I checked fuel flow all the way back to the fuel manifold. Even swapped the fuel line to the stbd side which runs. Does this sound like fuel pump? It cranked fired and immediately died. Never to fire again. It’s been acting up for a while. i replaced the spin on , i blew out the fuel line from the spin on to the tank valve manifold , even swapped the line to the stbd engine valve which is a known runner. can this be the pump / oil pressure sender? ive ordered new of each and hopefully will solve the prob. also , on the holley carbs , if you press the accel pumps near each of the bowls, should i see something spraying into the barrels?[/FONT]

A couple things to check are your pick up tube and tank vent. But after rereading your post you say that you hooked your starboard tank up to it with the same results? one thing you could try would be to unhook your fuel line from the carb and set the line to pump into a container. If the fuel pump is working then you will see the fuel.
If your getting fuel now you need to see if your getting spark. I don't know a lot about the 454's and their safety switch's but I am sure that Mako Mark or one of the others can take you further along.

One of the first things that would help would be use of accurate descriptions.

Another that may help your wallet is to diagnosis the issue before throwing parts at it...but that's your choice...

If you activate the accelerator pumps, you should see their discharge into the primaries, if there is fuel in the float bowl.

Does the fuel pump run continuously with the ignition on?

The more typical failure is the oil pressure switch fails...so the engine usually starts but doesn't run for long after it starts...

Would also be an excellent choice to verify spark - a timing light clipped over the coil's output is a quick way to verify this...

A couple things to check are your pick up tube and tank vent. But after rereading your post you say that you hooked your starboard tank up to it with the same results? one thing you could try would be to unhook your fuel line from the carb and set the line to pump into a container. If the fuel pump is working then you will see the fuel.
If your getting fuel now you need to see if your getting spark. I don't know a lot about the 454's and their safety switch's but I am sure that Mako Mark or one of the others can take you further along.

yes same result with the stbd tank which is on the known runner. i also had the crossover tank valve open to pull from both tanks if necessary. what makes me think its not a spark issue is the fact that it fired for about 3 to 4 secs , then died (had throttle at half position so when it fired , rpms went up to about 2200) , then motor died right out. i ordered a pump and pressure sensor after reading about the failure of the sensors being sort of common. will try the sensor first, if that works i can return the pump. i didnt verify if the pump ran the whole time , but its my suspicion. engine fired on a spray of ether as well.

as far as the pick up tube , is that next to the antisyphon valve? i dont have a good pic in my head of what that area looks like. boat is a 1994 silverton 34c. i can see the fittings on top of the tank pretty clearly. if by chance the pick up tube is off, can another be installed right there ? and what material is it usually? i assume if it is off, i would have to leave it in the tank

Back