Logo

Vro fuel pump broke

Fact ---438556 is the pump you should install.----just 2 nipples because it mounts directly over the PRESSURE pulse port on the intake manifold.-----Just in front of the starter motor.-----Look for that spot because it is there !!

I was replacing hoses and during removal the plastic on the bottom of the vro fuel pump disconnected at the seal. Basically broke the piece. If I remove the VRO and replace it with just a standard fuel pump do I still need the vro fuel pump?

I was going to buy this but want to make sure I wouldn't need the vro pump
https://www.amazon.com/Carbhub-Inje...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
You only need the VRO if you still want oil injection. The other pump requires you to premix.

See post #3

Racerone - Really appreciate the info!!!!!

Can you explain or point me in the direction of how I take the one Nipple to the two carbs?
Do you know if anyone has a video of this or pictures?
Sorry about all the questions and I do greatly appreciate all your help.

I found one of your other posts. Johnson 115 VRO

The small fuel pump.... You would need:
1 - 438556 - Pump
2 - 314417 - Screws
1 - 303615 - Gasket.... Plus some fuel hose.

Is this what I need to replace the VRO. Just want to make sure I have everything needed. After reviewing your posts you clearly know what your doing.
Thanks AGAIN :)

I hate when that happens

I received my new fuel pump, screws and gasket.

Just want to be sure I have the steps down.

Remove old VRO pump.
Remove nut that is blocking the Pulse on the Intake. Install Fuel Pump
Attach fuel line from Tank.
Attach fuel line to carbs.
Do i need to plug the old pulse hose?

Remove the pulse limiter ( flow fuse for the VRO pump ) and install a pipe plug.----I believe it is 1/8-NPT thread

I removed the VRO and replaced it with the Fuel Pump above.
I'm having problems with stalling at idle.
I believe it is Fuel Flow related.
I have the fuel pump with both nipples down. fuel has to loop back up to the nipple that feeds the two carbs. Its about 8-10 inches going down and looping up to the top.
Anyone have any pictures or can explain how the hose from the Pump gets connected to the Carbs.

Thanks

Doubt that it is fuel flow related.----Post your compression test values on that crossflow motor.----They are world famous for broken piston rings on one cylinder.----They will still run and often the second cylinder fails and has broken rings.----Then the owner finally realizes that something has to be done.

Doubt that it is fuel flow related.----Post your compression test values on that crossflow motor.----They are world famous for broken piston rings on one cylinder.----They will still run and often the second cylinder fails and has broken rings.----Then the owner finally realizes that something has to be done.

4 tests

Took it out again. Slow launch and dies out temporarily at 4k rpm.

They are world famous for broken piston rings on one cylinder.----They will still run and often the second cylinder fails and has broken rings.----Then the owner finally realizes that something has to be done.
Guess who else knows this irrefutable fact? Lol...
So it's rings - or an ingested bolt or washer from the air silencer... (facepalm)

CarMech1969

4 tests

Took it out again. Slow launch and dies out temporarily at 4k rpm.

My 1988 Johnson had 120 PSI across the board - until it decided that it needed a little additional iron in its diet :(
Now it's 120-120-120-115.
My point is that those numbers you have are looking like a tired motor.
Maybe you'll be doing a teardown in the near future (as I am currently).
Good luck with it!
CarMech1969

Wonder why compression gauges vary so much? I know my gauge.....test it once every 10 years whether it needs it or not. It's 45 years old.....made in the USA...

Back