Logo

2006 Yamaha 150(TXR) 4 Stroke Balancer

w2much

I purchased a 21 foot center console with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke. I think it is model 150TXR but not certain on the code yet. The price was right even without a motor. The previous owner passed and the setup was being sold by a relative. He claimed that the motor would run but that there was a balancer made of a plastic material that has disintegrated. He offered to start the motor saying that it would harm the motor if it was run as plastic from this balancer may be throughout the oil passages ect. I only wanted the boat and the price was right so I purchased it. I am almost motor savy but know nothing about these larger 4 strokes. Can anybody verify a part or where to look at a diagram which may show this plastic balancer thing. It seems that new powerhead or rebuild might be worth while or I may just part it out. I appreciate your replies. Thank you in advance.

I purchased a 21 foot center console with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke. I think it is model 150TXR but not certain on the code yet. The price was right even without a motor. The previous owner passed and the setup was being sold by a relative. He claimed that the motor would run but that there was a balancer made of a plastic material that has disintegrated. He offered to start the motor saying that it would harm the motor if it was run as plastic from this balancer may be throughout the oil passages ect. I only wanted the boat and the price was right so I purchased it. I am almost motor savy but know nothing about these larger 4 strokes. Can anybody verify a part or where to look at a diagram which may show this plastic balancer thing. It seems that new powerhead or rebuild might be worth while or I may just part it out. I appreciate your replies. Thank you in advance.
Have you tried yamaha outboard parts. You will need model number and serial number!

Some balancers, when failed, shred their composite gears which can block oil passages. The shredded plastic can, repeat can, not will, cause bearings and other parts to become damaged.Due to a lack of oil. Sometimes resulting in the complete failure of the power plant.

I would drain the oil and inspect for the presence of any debris in the oil. If a small amount, maybe no harm. If a large amount, then it is an unknown.

Not a particularly big job to remove the balancer. An hour at most even for a first timer. For inspection. Once it is inspected you will have a better idea as to what to do.

Balancer is at the front of the motor. https://www.simyamaha.com/v/vspfiles/images/F150 Balancer Replacement Instructions.pdf

Thank you both. I just wanted a perspective on what and where, perhaps how difficult and I got it. I appreciate your replies.

Back