Logo

problem replacing shift cable.

jlash

I have a 2001 Mercruiser with a 4.3L V6. I am replacing the shift cable and am following SEI instructions on You Tube. I have the outer jacket installed and am having trouble installing the inner cable. It has a 6 inch straight piece at the beginning and it won't go around the bend inside the boat. Any advice on how to solve this dilemma?

The bend inside the boat is wrong then.once inside, the casing does a sweeping bend to the right under the rear motor mount, then behind the Y pipe and up to the shift plate.Should have no issue inserting the inner core.

When you installed the new cable and went to tighten it in the housing you had the new casing as sight as possible to the casing turned when you turned the wrench?????????
If you did not do that you may have twisted the casing and now it is useless

When I put in the new outer casing that is the route it took. The problem is the sweeping bend won't allow the inner core to go around because of the 6 inch straight part. I will pull it out and check for a kink tomorrow.

This morning I unscrewed the outer casing and pulled it back out about two feet. Tried the inner cable and it went in alright till it just gets past the transom and won't go any further. When putting in the outer cable, when it goes through the transom it hits the rear of the engine. Then has to take a sharp bend. That seems to be the issue. Anybody done this with V6 engine?

the cable goes from the transom,between the rear mount, up and around to the shift plate
I unscrewed the outer casing and pulled it back out about two feet
When putting in the outer cable, when it goes through the transom it hits the rear of the engine.

Just before it hits the flywheel housing is bends and goes between the rear mount

Finally got it with help from my son. He was able to push hard enough to force the inner cable around the bend. So got it all back together again. Now trying to adjust because goes into forward and neutral alright but is clicking in reverse. Does not lock in reverse. I have tried adjusting the slide but hasn't helped.

Try manually shifting into reverse by disconnecting the black slide and puling it outward , motor need not be running. If you cant get reverse, pull the drive and make sure the cable is threaded all the way in.No more that 2 threads showing. This affects reverse.

Well finally got the shift to work in both forward and reverse after changing the lower cable.
It is out of the water. BUT still notice the kill switch stays activated in reverse.
Tried adjusting till I am blue in the face but nothing works. HELP

Adjusting by you tube or actual manual?
when you thread the cable in you can have no more than 2 threads showing.You move the stud to its lowest position, adjust forward. Then you adjust reverse by raising the stud

Yes, checked the thread on screw and only one thread showing. Also have the linkages adjusted so goes into forward and reverse and get a lock on the prop. But notice the kill switch stays engaged when in reverse. Same problem I had before I replaced the lower cable. I have a feeling it is still the cable issue and because of the sharp curve when going through the transom. Can't see or feel under there so going blind.

If you disconnect the lower cable and can shift F and R the lower cable is fine.
Try connecting the lower cable and push the arm all the way into fwd.
Shift the control box in fwd attach at the stud and adjust barrel to fit.
Now test reverse

Back