Logo

2005 bf 150s overheat

Barflyz

2005 twin 150s
Starboard engine keeps overheating
New Pump kits have 20 hours
Replaced thermostats - popit valve(dump valve or whatever its called) and swapped out sensors with port engine. Cleaned intake screen and salt awayed it multiple times.

If I hook up the water hose and split it between the earmuffs and the flush hose it is fine. As soon as I back off pressure to flush hose and more to muffs it overheats. Thermos in or out same result.

Gota be a bad impeller/pump???

Thoughts

2005 twin 150s
Starboard engine keeps overheating
New Pump kits have 20 hours
Replaced thermostats - popit valve(dump valve or whatever its called) and swapped out sensors with port engine. Cleaned intake screen and salt awayed it multiple times.

If I hook up the water hose and split it between the earmuffs and the flush hose it is fine. As soon as I back off pressure to flush hose and more to muffs it overheats. Thermos in or out same result.

Gota be a bad impeller/pump???

Thoughts

When you say flush hose, are referring to the port on the starboard side? I have never run the motor with just that attachment.

With my 150, the muffs need to be fairly secure to the leg or it will overheat. I ended up getting a large trough/bin to do flushing now and I stopped using the port because it did not get past the Thermostats.

Is the tell tale also very warm when it overheats?

When you say flush hose, are referring to the port on the starboard side? I have never run the motor with just that attachment.

With my 150, the muffs need to be fairly secure to the leg or it will overheat. I ended up getting a large trough/bin to do flushing now and I stopped using the port because it did not get past the Thermostats.

Is the tell tale also very warm when it overheats?

Not running it with just flush hose. Just using it as a secondary, and plenty of water to muffs. slowing down water to flush hose whitch increases water pressure to muffs causes it to overheat. I dont think the pump is pushing enough water when the flush hose pressure is backed off. I have had these since new so pretty familar with the normal process, Just used the flush hose to see if it made a difference which it did.

No on the telltale temp. Exhaust temp at prop is 125+- at thermo housing 140+- top of head 140+-

Not running it with just flush hose. Just using it as a secondary, and plenty of water to muffs. slowing down water to flush hose whitch increases water pressure to muffs causes it to overheat. I dont think the pump is pushing enough water when the flush hose pressure is backed off. I have had these since new so pretty familar with the normal process, Just used the flush hose to see if it made a difference which it did.

No on the telltale temp. Exhaust temp at prop is 125+- at thermo housing 140+- top of head 140+-

Those temps seem right on but I would have to double check my manual at home. I’m not sure if this is worth shunting the communication port to check for codes. It’s a stretch but how are the wires and connections leading up to the sensors in the effected motor? Those should ohm our to near zero I believe.

Back