Logo

honda bf 225 (2012) fuel or injectors???

gorantrener

hello, if some1 would help, important things first, all filters replaced (including HP), sparkplugs also, fuel line no issues, HP pump works fine at start. i have occasional problem somewhere in HP part or injectors... if i start the engine and run it up to 2000 rpm, never any issues. if i try to run it at 4000 FAST (which means from 2000-4000 rpm in few seconds) it occasionally starts to stall, reaches some 3000 but then engine doesnt answer (will not go up to 4000 or higher and starts to "shake" - clearly not receiving enough fuel). BUT, if i repeat same operation (from 2000-4000 rpm) very slow - 2500 for 20 sec, then 3000 for 20 sec then 3500 for 20 sec and finally reach 4000, and then seems to be working fine. as you imagine, very annoying. this mostly happens when boat is fully loaded (7m RIB with 10 divers). any ideas? should i clean the injectors (allthough i regularly clean with fuel aditives), or is it something inside that lower part of HP pump? is it possible the problem is with o2 sensors? thanks very much!!!!!

Check the pressure of your fuel pump should be 42-49
Also check your primer bulb if its soft or collapsed. If you pump while you're on your way does it rectify it?

Check the pressure of your fuel pump should be 42-49
Also check your primer bulb if its soft or collapsed. If you pump while you're on your way does it rectify it?

thanks for the answer, but everything seems to be ok with primer bulb and pump pressure. i am pretty sure problem is somewhere after the HP filter and pump

A bad HO2 sensor will not cause the problem you described. When it fails, the engine runs just less efficiently and uses more fuel.

Yes, check the fuel pressure as Mr. Main22 suggested.

When is the last time you drained the VST? You should every 100 hours. Water can accumulate in there and cause the problem you described.

Have you checked for water in the bottom of the onboard fuel/water separator. If not, pull the bowl and dump the contents.

If you have an external fuel/water separator, when is the last time you changed that filter? They should be drained every 50 hours and changed every season.

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

A bad HO2 sensor will not cause the problem you described. When it fails, the engine runs just less efficiently and uses more fuel.

Yes, check the fuel pressure as Mr. Main22 suggested.

When is the last time you drained the VST? You should every 100 hours. Water can accumulate in there and cause the problem you described.

Have you checked for water in the bottom of the onboard fuel/water separator. If not, pull the bowl and dump the contents.

If you have an external fuel/water separator, when is the last time you changed that filter? They should be drained every 50 hours and changed every season.

Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

hi Chawk, both onboard and external separators are checked, no issues. But, can you explain VST? i dont know what that is. thanks!!!

The VST - Vapor Separator Tank - is in place to assure an adequate amount of non-turbulent fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. (The fuel in the VST tank is kept under pressure to prevent vaporization, thus preventing the fuel from becoming too lean under variable demand.)

First, turn on your key switch briefly so that the HP fuel pump charges the system.
On the back starboard side of your motor, you will see a plastic tube looped around a holder. Unhook it, and look down at the base where it connects. Beside the connection is a small set screw. Use a long 10” or longer, flat blade screwdriver to open the set screw - slowly. (Or you can peel back the starboard upper cowling to get to it easier.)

Then, with the end of the hose extended downward into a clear container that will hold at least a quart of liquid, start opening the set screw. Do not open too far - if it comes out, you will need to remove the upper cowling to retrieve it.

Anywhere from one and a half to two pints of gas, and maybe some water and gunk will come out of that tube. Be patient, the last stuff to come out is usually slow, but drain out as much as you can. You can boost the flow by turning on the key switch briefly to activate the fuel pump again. If there is water, or any gunk, then your fuel-water separator and low pressure fuel filter have failed and need to be replaced.

At that point, you should also change out the high pressure filter which sits on top of the fuel pump and is held in place with three 5 mm screws. If there is no flow, Retighten the set screw and turn on the key switch again to re-pressurize the fuel system. If that doesn’t clear it, try to blow low pressure compressed air back through the tube to open it up. As a last resort, you can put suction on it to open it up. (I really do hate the taste of gasoline!)

The VST - Vapor Separator Tank - is in place to assure an adequate amount of non-turbulent fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. (The fuel in the VST tank is kept under pressure to prevent vaporization, thus preventing the fuel from becoming too lean under variable demand.)

First, turn on your key switch briefly so that the HP fuel pump charges the system.
On the back starboard side of your motor, you will see a plastic tube looped around a holder. Unhook it, and look down at the base where it connects. Beside the connection is a small set screw. Use a long 10” or longer, flat blade screwdriver to open the set screw - slowly. (Or you can peel back the starboard upper cowling to get to it easier.)

Then, with the end of the hose extended downward into a clear container that will hold at least a quart of liquid, start opening the set screw. Do not open too far - if it comes out, you will need to remove the upper cowling to retrieve it.

Anywhere from one and a half to two pints of gas, and maybe some water and gunk will come out of that tube. Be patient, the last stuff to come out is usually slow, but drain out as much as you can. You can boost the flow by turning on the key switch briefly to activate the fuel pump again. If there is water, or any gunk, then your fuel-water separator and low pressure fuel filter have failed and need to be replaced.

At that point, you should also change out the high pressure filter which sits on top of the fuel pump and is held in place with three 5 mm screws. If there is no flow, Retighten the set screw and turn on the key switch again to re-pressurize the fuel system. If that doesn’t clear it, try to blow low pressure compressed air back through the tube to open it up. As a last resort, you can put suction on it to open it up. (I really do hate the taste of gasoline!)

wow thanks very much, that might be it. i will try it in next few days, when i take the boat out of the water. cheers!!!

Don't be surprised if that set screw to open the drain line is stuck. If the VST is not drained often, the SS screw tends to corrode into the aluminum base. Spray it with PB Blaster, let it soak, then put the screwdriver into the slot and tap, tap, tap. You may need to do this a bunch of times. Worst case scenario is that the screw won't come loose, so the VST will need to be removed and disassembled.

If you do get it to move, they go ahead and remove it completely and coat the threads with anti-seize grease upon re-installation. You will need to peel back or remove the starboard upper cowling to do that.

Don't be surprised if that set screw to open the drain line is stuck. If the VST is not drained often, the SS screw tends to corrode into the aluminum base. Spray it with PB Blaster, let it soak, then put the screwdriver into the slot and tap, tap, tap. You may need to do this a bunch of times. Worst case scenario is that the screw won't come loose, so the VST will need to be removed and disassembled.

If you do get it to move, they go ahead and remove it completely and coat the threads with anti-seize grease upon re-installation. You will need to peel back or remove the starboard upper cowling to do that.

yeah i hear you. thanks very much, it is very helpfull, will update with the result soon after i get the boat on dry

Back