Logo

Error beeps

brozzi

2018 250 hp Tohatsu (Honda)
Took out the O2 sensor and cleaned it. Put it back in and it's the same thing, the alarm doesn't sound until it hits 128 f . Idles fine. I can shut it down and restart and the alarm disappears. I ordered a OBD from Heal Tech so when i get it i can see whats going on but the sensor looked pretty good even before i cleaned it. Maybe the sensor is shot. Is there anything else i'm overlooking? Why doesnt the alarm sound as soon as she starts?? 70 hrs on this engine!

Just a guess but most EFI engine computers have internal timers for examining operating parameters. This is because the manufacturer doesn't want "false codes" being thrown during what are called "transient abnormalities".

In plain English they provide the ECM the ability to "think it over" for a brief time to see if the condition resolves on it's own before logging a fault code.

I hope your new sensor does the trick.

Pull codes. Procedure is here: View attachment 25196

Here is what the codes mean for the 200/225. I think they are the same for the 250: View attachment 25197

If it's a code "1" it MAY be the HO2 sensor, but it could also be a failing plug or coil, or fuel pressure out of spec.

Are any lights coming on on your key switch when the alarm sounds? Does the green oil pressure light stay on when the alarm sounds?

No lights are lit except the check engine light. The outboard runs fine. Oil pressure light stays on and is bright. Hopefully the OBD will be here tomorrow and black fishing starts Sunday :)

No lights are lit except the check engine light. The outboard runs fine. Oil pressure light stays on and is bright. Hopefully the OBD will be here tomorrow and black fishing starts Sunday :)

I believe the HO2 senser is continuous. Also when you start there is no warning as you run the warning will start. But start the engine put it in gear and it shouldn't give you a warning to your back in idle

I believe the HO2 senser is continuous. Also when you start there is no warning as you run the warning will start. But start the engine put it in gear and it shouldn't give you a warning to your back in idle

O2 sensor failure

HealTech OBD works great

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 19
  • error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
I thought they got rid of the HO2 sensors on the late model 250's. Guess I'm mistaken about that.

Yea thinking 2019 models
Thinking this will be a recurring theme - bought a O2 sensor from Honda but also bought two chinese sensors as throw away ones so even if i get a few months out of them for the price it's worth it

Back