Logo

1994 Force 40hp Idle Speed Adjustment

Bevo2000

Motor: 1994 Force 40hp (serial # 0E067660)

[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, .SFNSText-Regular, sans-serif]I bought the service manual jerryjerry recommended and am trying to adjust the idle speed. The idle is high so I turned the screw counter clockwise to lower it. However, it has no effect because the linkage on top is holding it in place (please see photo), and looking at the end of the idle speed screw, there's a gap that I am not sure should be there. I was going to adjust the linkage in the second arrow but stopped because I was not sure if I should be touching it? Please advise.

Thanks!

[/FONT]

Attachments

• idle1.jpg
    idle1.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 286
The top screw is for adjusting the timing.
DON'T touch this. Timing doesn't change unless
you change it.

The bottom screw is the idle adjustment.

The throttle cable is held in place and the
part(trunion) it holds down spins on the cable.
You have to adjust the trunion to remove the
slack and that lowers the idle.
Remember where the original setting is so you
can return it.

The idle should be 1150-1200 out of the water
750-800 in gear while in the water.

Be careful if you want to adjust timing !!---As stated it does not change for the life of the motor.----You might want to adjust the anchor point on the throttle cable to get rid of the idle stop gap.------Also check flywheel key as it has to do with timing.

Thank you both for responding. So glad I asked before touching that timing screw!!!!

Currently, according to 2 tachometers (tiny tach and a laser pointing one), the idle in neutral is between 1200 - 1300, and while in gear, it's between 900 - 1100 (This is on the lake). The good thing is both tachometers readings were almost identical, but I am not sure if they are accurate. I will be making try to make the adjustments so the RPM is according Jerry's numbers.

The top screw is for adjusting the timing.
DON'T touch this. Timing doesn't change unless
you change it.

The bottom screw is the idle adjustment.

The throttle cable is held in place and the
part(trunion) it holds down spins on the cable.
You have to adjust the trunion to remove the
slack and that lowers the idle.
Remember where the original setting is so you
can return it.

The idle should be 1150-1200 out of the water
750-800 in gear while in the water.

Hi Jerry, I need a little bit more help. I disconnected the throttle linkage but that didn't do anything to close the gap of the idle speed screw. Could you tell me where the trunion is or what it looks like?

IMG_8793.jpg

shopping

Here's 2 cables.
The black thing 5-6" from the end is the trunion .
When it's spun it moves up and down the brass threads.

Back