Logo

Figuring out Cubic inches 1989 Evinrude 90 HP (E90TLCEM)

YngwieL

Was tryin to figure out how they calculate cubic inches in my 1989 Evinrude 90HP.. and in the Manual I have, it states the Stroke is 2.858 / Bore Size is 3.50 / 4 Cylinders.. well when I put that in a calculator, its stating that the Cubic inches are 109.99 (110) but in the manual it states its a 99.6 Cubic inch Motor.. this is the screen shot of the page I am referring to --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/aBo2ojY8qmLWTdwy8

do you think they fat fingered their numbers for the stroke several times, or is this correct? or, am I just not calculating it correctly?

If I do the stroke as 2.588 like 81-86 years right above that shows, then it comes out to 99.6 cubic inches, which is what the manual states it is for the 90HP.. was this legit, or an attempt to downsize the engine for some reason?

I believe you are using a manual published by a " manual seller " and not an outboard technical person.----Some of those manuals belong in the wee house with the half moon in the door.-----Do yourself a huge favor and invest a few pennies in a factory manual.------Close your tool box and read the factory manual 2 X before working on one of these engines.----And I believe going 0.064" O/S is a mistake.-----You should be able to find any number of good used blocks for the first 0.020" boring job.----Plentiful in my area !!!

Back