Logo

Suzuki DF60 2001 fail to start

Sarrre

Contributing Member
Hello guys, hope you can assist me with some troubleshooting.

I have a Suzuki DF60 from 2001 that I moved to another boat some time ago. The new boat was out on water two times. The second time it started to make some trouble. It was loosing power. Max rpm was close to 6000 rpm, and suddenly the max rpm dropped to 4000 rpm. Then I pulled the throttle back to idle because I understood it was something wrong with the engine. Next try to increase speed, the max rpm was only 2500 rpm. I was heading to the dock and I'm glad I made it all the way. I shut off the eninge and let it rest for some day. Next time it was impossible to start. It want to fire up, but not enough to keep it running. Maybe it runs for just a second or two, but nothing more.

I have checked spark on all cylinders, compression is very good, and also all the spark plugs are wet.

Why did this happen shortly after moving it to another boat? The engine was running very good on the other boat. The only difference I can tell is that the other boat had a permanent fuel tank and the new boat has a portable plastic tank. So I assumed I got some dirt in the fuel, so I changed the low pressure fuel filter, drained the vapor separator from all fuel and also drained the high pressure filter. Is there any other filter that may be clogged? Or what else could cause this you think? Fuel pressure is good. It is within range according to the manual.

I have put a brand new engine on the boat now, but still want to fix this engine to be able to sell it. I made a video with last start attempts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFyB8wARfOo

Edit: After cleaning and inspecting the injectors I now sometimes manage to run the engine a few seconds more. But when it does manage to start, it will run on very low rpms a few seconds. I also checked the fuel pressure relief valve according to the service manual and it is also good. New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVadcZxYgts

Last edited:
Back