Logo

bf225 water leaking from bottom of motor

Jtimberlake99

Hey all, looking for some guidance here. All of a sudden today water started gushing from the cowling near exhaust ports. I took the cover off and tried to source the water leak. There is still a pee stream, but tons of water gushing from the bottom of the block. This is a brand new short block (2 weeks ago) so there is about zero percent chance of corrosion I would think. I have had difficulty tracking down the pee line, but wondering if that could be unplugged somewhere? I know it needs to go back to Honda but would like to cross of the easy items first because it's an all day affair getting the boat out of the water, renting trailer etc... Any help is appreciated!

Unbolt the VST tank and look behind it there is a small hose that feeds the vst cooler that probably pooped off my clamp rotted out and when i replaced the impeller in the lower unit it blew that hose off the nipple. With a small flash light at the right angle you should be able to confirm if this is the problem before removal i managed to keep the vst connected just unbolted the mounts and with the help of a partner and some very long needle nose plyers got it back on.

Unbolt the VST tank and look behind it there is a small hose that feeds the vst cooler that probably pooped off my clamp rotted out and when i replaced the impeller in the lower unit it blew that hose off the nipple. With a small flash light at the right angle you should be able to confirm if this is the problem before removal i managed to keep the vst connected just unbolted the mounts and with the help of a partner and some very long needle nose plyers got it back on.

Yup! You nailed it. Thanks a lot for the quick assist.

Just discovered exactly the same thing running the engine in a tank now the boat is inside for the winter.
Looks like I need 4 hands and very long, thin fingers ��

This is what I found:

Hopefully if I pull the VST back a bit I can use long bent nose piers to remove the old hose clamp, fit a new one and then get the hose back on the VST.

Back