Logo

Trying to ressurect a 2006 NFS9.8A3

Oday20

Trying to resurrect a new to me 2006 9.8 (nsf9.8a3 3-2v1) Nissan/Tohatsu outboard. Solenoid buzzes when starter button is pushed. Bypassed kill switch, bypassed neutral safety, battery is new and fully charged, checked battery cables for continuity, replaced solenoid, checked all grounds, removed starter and tested...it works. I have a service manual but almost zero expertise. Any help is appreciated.

If you jump the solenoid, does the starter crank? If not, maybe the motor is stuck. Can you pull the recoil starter? If it's stuck, some marvel oil in the cylinders and a big wrench may free it up.

If you jump the solenoid, does the starter crank? If not, maybe the motor is stuck. Can you pull the recoil starter? If it's stuck, some marvel oil in the cylinders and a big wrench may free it up.

I did use a screwdriver to connect the two posts on the solenoid. Nothing happened...except current was flowing enough to heat.

Thank you ahead of time. The engine turns freely. I got it to fire a couple of times...never got it running using the manual start (pulled to blister on finger level). Ignition/carb problems for later.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the starter circuit it looks like the neutral safety switch would stop any solenoid activation if not engaged. So, the only part of the circuit I have left, as far as I can tell, is the cable to the starter motor (The starter worked when removed and tested, it currently does nothing when the starter button is pressed). When I removed the starter all of the negative grounding points seemed good and clean and the positive post on the starter as well as the cable were clean.

I'm going out to the shed to take a look at the starter cable to assure it is clean and hooked up plus check with my multimeter for resistance. Before I received the service manual I had wild guesses that some expensive part like the CD might be the culprit but...it doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with the starter circuit. Looks like current for ignition flows from positive terminal through fuse to starter switch, to neutral switch, to solenoid and then to starter. Am I correct or is there another part to this puzzle?

Other questions:
Can the starter switch cause a problem by not sending enough current to the solenoid?
Observation/question This motor was neglected. The zinc anode is about 25%. I cleaned every wired ground I could find on the powerhead. Any other usual suspect grounding issues I might look for related to my primary problem...no starter activation?

Thank you again!

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Likely have to clean the carburetor. Properly.
The kill switch only kills ignition. It has no effect on the starter.
The Neutral switch disables cranking if not in N.
I would jumper the solenoid to see whether the motor cranks.
If the solenoid buzzes, it is being activated.
You can always put 12v direct to the starter to see if it turns.

Bypassed the starter button still only a buzzing solenoid So it appears starter button is not likely fault.
12v directly to starter. Jumper cable on starter cable and jumper cable on motor to ground?
When you say jump the solenoid can you describe?

Yes, jumper direct to starter should worek like that.
The solenoid is a magnetic switch. The two heavy leads jumpered should crank the starter.

Likely have to clean the carburetor. Properly.
The kill switch only kills ignition. It has no effect on the starter.
The Neutral switch disables cranking if not in N.
I would jumper the solenoid to see whether the motor cranks.
If the solenoid buzzes, it is being activated.
You can always put 12v direct to the starter to see if it turns.

I was able to engage the starter and crank the motor by using jumper cables hooked up directly to the starter motor cable and the starter body. So, the wire from the solenoid to the starter checks good. Swapped fuses in the fuse box, they both looked good. Stumped.

It's simple really. If the starter is good, and you give it power, it cranks. If the solenoid is good, and you trigger it, power goes to the starter.

It's simple really. If the starter is good, and you give it power, it cranks. If the solenoid is good, and you trigger it, power goes to the starter.

I know. However, something is wrong. Perhaps there is a wire mixup. Let's start simple before I start tracing all the wires. The positive side of the battery cable should be hooked to the left side of the solenoid ? Thats what the wiring diagram seems to indicate to me. I believe I would be blowing fuses if wired backwards. Can't wait to get this fixed and move on to the carb and ignition. :)

Battery cable to starboard side. Also the wire to the fuse there. Port side gets the short wire to the starter:
002-21051-2_FIG09.jpg

Back