Logo

A Lot of Play in Gear Shift Handle

Swarlos

Regular Contributor
Hey folks, I just picked this motor up. It doesn't pump water so I'm getting a new impeller, but there's another thing I noticed that I don't know how to fix. It will shift through all the gears just fine, but once in any of the gears (F, N, R) there is a lot of play in the handle. I'll link a video. What does it take to fix this?

Thanks for all the help!

https://vimeo.com/463999127

Edit: 6hp Evinrude, think it's around 1975, the model/serial number plate seems to have been removed for painting and never found its way back on.

Check the bolts in the shift rod connecter.----Or the bell crank at the top of the shift rod is broken.----Remove lower unit for the first item.----If that is good then check shift rod going into the lower unit for any slack.-----Powerhead needs to be removed to inspect top of shift rod..

That's busted up top..... I'm pretty sure. Got one at home.....same thing. We are up on Canada border....little fishing, camping break. Had to check in so my friends here won't think I died. The one I have at home will be repaired upon our return. Already have it sold. Wish I had it here instead of this worthless 4 stroke Yamaha 4 horse......looses spark when hot.

You can split the water pump opening just enough to see shift shaft to make certain. Then move forward if you see movement not corresponding to shift lever action.....then you will know for sure where the slack is. Then remove powerhead and repair, my friend.

In the original post, you said you are going to replace the water pump anyway. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Go ahead with the water pump job. As part of the job, you will have the lower unit off. Then there is no better or surer way to diagnose the shift looseness. Simply grab hold of the shift rod and see if it slops up and down. Instant diagnosis.

My bet is the powerhead has to come off. No big deal, easy job.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll give an update once I get the lower unit off, won't be for a few days, don't want to upset Boobie if he's watching.

Ugh, I just snapped the heads off of 2 of the 4 bolts holding the lower unit on. Will I be able to pull the lower unit off through those bolts or is the bottom part threaded along with the top part?

Edit: If it matters the two that snapped were on the back side, the two on the front came out intact.

It should pull off those broken bolt remains. However, they probably are seized/corroded in the aluminum surrounding them. That is why they wouldn't turn, causing them to break

Might need a little heat and tapping. Salt water motor?
Gonna fix my 6 hp tomorrow morning with same sloppy shifter.

Last edited:
I didn't know if I should make a new thread or reuse the old post. I finally got around to getting the lower unit free. I noticed that the gear shift linkage screw heads were on the port side of the motor. The manual shows the heads on the starboard side of the motor. I'm suspicious that the previous owner flipped it around. Can you men of great experience tell me if this is correct?
PortView.jpgStarboardView.jpg

What are you going to upset Boobie about ????
I have noticed that you don't like it when people take a long time to act on the advice of the people on the forum, but I knew it was going to take me a long time to work on this motor.

As for pulling the power head. The screws holding the power head aren't any kinder than those that held the lower unit. I snapped one trying to get it off. I'm not looking forward to the potential headache of all of them breaking so I think I will wait for spring to continue work on it.

Don't worry Swarlos, I'll try to avoid ever helping you again. It's just common courtesy to get back to a person that has helped you on a problem but O'well.

Back