Logo

Bf225 2002 squeal at start up

James t

When I start my engine up from cold I get a squeal sound just like a slipping fan belt on a car. There is no fan belt obviously but a toothed timing belt. I haven’t yet taken a look under the cover. Has anyone else had this and knows what it is/how to fix it? Cheers.

Is the engine still out of gear when the squeal starts? If so, that would eliminate the noise coming from the mid-shaft bushing.

It's likely one of the pulleys or tensioners on the timing belt, or maybe on the alternator belt (or the alternator pulley itself.) If it is, replace it before you have a catastrophic failure.

See: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda.../225hp/bf225ak0-la-2007-and-later/timing-belt

Remove the silencer case (muffler) on top of the engine and timing belt cover and closely inspect each of the tensioners and pulleys. Have someone start the engine to see if you can identify the squealer.

If you send me an e-mail at [email protected] and ask for the procedure for inspecting and adjusting the timing belt, I will send it by return e-mail. It is too big for this system to handle as an upload.

Is the engine still out of gear when the squeal starts? If so, that would eliminate the noise coming from the mid-shaft bushing.

It's likely one of the pulleys or tensioners on the timing belt, or maybe on the alternator belt (or the alternator pulley itself.) If it is, replace it before you have a catastrophic failure.

See: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda.../225hp/bf225ak0-la-2007-and-later/timing-belt

Remove the silencer case (muffler) on top of the engine and timing belt cover and closely inspect each of the tensioners and pulleys. Have someone start the engine to see if you can identify the squealer.

If you send me an e-mail at [email protected] and ask for the procedure for inspecting and adjusting the timing belt, I will send it by return e-mail. It is too big for this system to handle as an upload.

thanks! Email sent.

When I start my engine up from cold I get a squeal sound just like a slipping fan belt on a car. There is no fan belt obviously but a toothed timing belt. I haven’t yet taken a look under the cover. Has anyone else had this and knows what it is/how to fix it? Cheers.

I had a squeal on start up with my 04' 225 Hp, I thought it was the vertical shaft bushing I pulled the bushing greased it but still had a squeal. Next I went to check the tension, idle pulleys and timing belt when I noticed the alternator belt had some play in it. Tightened up the alternator belt and no more squeal.

I had a squeal on start up with my 04' 225 Hp, I thought it was the vertical shaft bushing I pulled the bushing greased it but still had a squeal. Next I went to check the tension, idle pulleys and timing belt when I noticed the alternator belt had some play in it. Tightened up the alternator belt and no more squeal.

that is exactly what I think is causing mine! Thanks!

Back