Logo

Minn Kota terrova i-Pilot link issues

Buffman90

I have an i-Pilot link, non Bluetooth, and just got a Humminbird helix 7 chirp mega si gps g3n. Bought the adapter cables and have the locator and trolling talking to each other. Bought the Lakemap chip and seemed like was all set. But I am not. They don’t seem to be talking to each other. I can not follow the contour, motor won’t go to waypoints. Can’t even get the motor remote to sync. I have the manual left and can’t figure out what I am missing or doing wrong. Humminbird has been less than helpful. Trying to tell me I can only follow contour if I get a zero map chip and download data off the locator. Told me to call minn Kota about syncing the remote. Hoping someone has the answer to what I potentially may be missing. Thanks.

I have an i-Pilot link, non Bluetooth, and just got a Humminbird helix 7 chirp mega si gps g3n. Bought the adapter cables and have the locator and trolling talking to each other. Bought the Lakemap chip and seemed like was all set. But I am not. They don’t seem to be talking to each other. I can not follow the contour, motor won’t go to waypoints. Can’t even get the motor remote to sync. I have the manual left and can’t figure out what I am missing or doing wrong. Humminbird has been less than helpful. Trying to tell me I can only follow contour if I get a zero map chip and download data off the locator. Told me to call minn Kota about syncing the remote. Hoping someone has the answer to what I potentially may be missing. Thanks.

What did you do to fix this problem because I am having the same problem.

Basically spent 2 hrs on phone with Humminbird and minn Kota. No definite fix yet. Apparently the trolling motor is 2 updates behind on software. So need to update the locator and trolling motors software to see if it fixes issue. Haven’t had time to get SDcards and do the update. Gonna do this week sometime and hopefully find out this weekend.

Well I updated the software on the Hummingbird and the motor yesterday so software is all updated and I am still not sure that they are talking. When I turn on the I-pilot control screen on the Hummingbird I see what should be the controls but when I try to use them they do nothing. Now one thing I did find while in in simulate I get nothing. But when I am in normal mode without the transducer hooked up (boat on the trailer) I can tap on the off button and it brings up a motor control screen with no left or right turn buttons. I from the Hummingbird can turn on the prop and then speed it up on down with the left or right curser keys. I can not turn it left or right but I am at least talking to the motor speed. Did Minn Kota tell you about any thins special that needs to be turned on on the fish finder in order for them to communicate? My Minn Kota remote is paired to the link head but in my Hummingbird attachments diagnostic screen it shows the remote is not attached.

Last edited:
Here are the update that you need to get your system to
Hummingbird Helex 7 gps g3n controller software .... 2.280
Humming bird base map version .... 2.010
Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot head................. 2.150
Minn Kota non bluetooth remote Terrova legacy....2.040

Now one more thing that I found after talking to Humming bird. Hit menu twice and go to the network tab which on my head is on the far right of the tabs and go down the the share tab and turn it to on. This could be one of the main reason it was not seeing waypoints on the map. The second thing I found out is the I-pilot control screen does not function on our Hummingbird helix 7 non Bluetooth units. Though you can tap the on off screen and get a screen that will turn on the prop and tab down and speed up of slow down the prop.

Basically i know same stuff as what you just said. Did find out from minn Kota u will never pair the remote to locator unless it is Bluetooth. But no one had told me the i-Pilot screen doesn’t function on non Bluetooth models. Makes sense why the screen doesn’t show i-Pilot controls then. Cuz I noticed that as well, but it is least of concerns. Part of me thinks this whole Bluetooth thing is a Johnson company ploy to make everyone have to update control head. Which is why the downgrade in communication between the 2 units. Damn fishing mafia is what they are. 3 grand in crap that I don’t need to have not work. Oh well. Hope to figure out soon. See what the updates do.

I am testing tomorrow, I hope. Just a test run to see if it will work to follow a track and go to waypoints from the Hummingbird. I will let you know the results. I did find that if I tap the on/off button it will pop up a sort screen that will let you turn the prop on and change speeds and with the upgrade the go full speed (rabbit) mode now works. I have the lake master chip coming so I can track contour lines. We fish deep shoal areas where we need to track a deep contours.

Good luck.will keep you posted with what happens on my end. Just have to get to place to do updates and get them on the locator and motor. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Well I tested everything today and it worked like it should. I set waypoints and then linked them into a track and the motor followed it great. I am not so good at making tracks yet but first time out. Spot lock worked and the cruse and course control worked fine. You could see the course change on the fish finder. The Hummingbird tech told me the most important thing that I could not find in the manual. You need to go to the menu screen and to the network tab and scroll down to the share tab and turn it on. I would never have found it and I am sure it would not have worked with out this turned on. It lets the fish finder talk to the motor.

Last edited:
Glad it worked for you! I just got the updates today and am put them on Sunday and test it out. Keeping fingers crossed. Tight lines!

I am waiting for my lakemaster chip to get here then I can find if it will follow the contour. I would still like to test it one more time. I intend to go to a deeper lake to test that function.

6EF3F9F6-5A50-45EF-B997-2BD1283D9729.jpeg

Update didn’t work. Locator would not read card. I thought based on info on Humminbird this card correct. Is that not so?!?! What the heck?

I set waypoints and then linked them into a track and the motor followed it great. I am not so good at making tracks yet but first time out. Spot lock worked and the cruse and course control worked fine. You could see the course change on the fish finder SILICONE DIVE MASK - MZDSDM3-XX. The Hummingbird tech told me the most important thing that I could not find in the manual.

My Hummingbire Helix7 chirp gps g3n quit seeing my minn kota motor. In the accessories view it shows that the I pilot is not connected. Does anyone have any ideas? I have checked all the connections and did a continuity check for all the wires going to the head. They are all good and no broken wires. It must be something in the set up on the hummingbird. when I go to the menu tab twice I see the accessories tab on the right side but there is no network tab. Is that normal?

Back