Logo

Volvo 5.7 gxi version 4mfi dies at higher fuel flow.

AlanKosh

Compression tests good. .newer motor 200 lb compression. Under 3000 rpm work fine fuel flow is about 9.8 gallons an hour. over 11 gallons per hour runs good but intermittently almost dies. back off throttle and back to normal 20 seconds later. new fuel lines to fuel pump unit. new fuel filters. Tank scrubbed and all fuel pumped out after shop replaced 2 injectors and 8 plugs. said it is bad fuel not the case. Rinda shows low oil pressure alarm happens after almost dies so I think this is an afterthought. Motor only has 130 hours on new long block.

Mechanic thinks it may be another fuel injector and sensor is shutting down motor. All sensors checked out ok according to him.

I am completely at a loss so any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Fuel filters including new raycor brand new. High speed pump 50 lbs/low speed 15. Swapped high pressure pump with spare. removed fuel flow sensor no changes .

Last edited:
The RINDA tool should show you what's going on.

The Low oil could be a result of the engine dying...the MEFI-4 will shut off the fuel if it doesn't receive the reference pulses from the distributor...

Thank you very much for your reply. Excuse my ignorance as I am not familiar with the normal
parameters on what they should be. I believe you hit it exactly on the head the mefi is ****ting down the engine at higher rpm/fuel flow. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or look at the parameters? Alan

Don't laugh, did you change the dist cap?

I did not change it yet. It was replaced with the new block 9 months ago. Guess that is a great idea to at least inspect. The appearance was at a sustained over 3000 rpm/10 gallons an hour flow and after an hour or two it would be a fuel problem. I am starting to think it was mis diagnosed and the computer is shutting down the system temporarily. Any particular specs in the rinda that would indicate this?

Thank you,

Alan

I did not change it yet. It was replaced with the new block 9 months ago. Guess that is a great idea to at least inspect. The appearance was at a sustained over 3000 rpm/10 gallons an hour flow and after an hour or two it would be a fuel problem. I am starting to think it was mis diagnosed and the computer is shutting down the system temporarily. Any particular specs in the rinda that would indicate this?

Thank you,

Alan

Replace the cap and rotor... If the cap is leaking it will cause all kinds of unexplained issues... Had one this summer... Ran good until it hit 3k rpm.... Needed a magnifying glass to see the leak in the cap.

Replace the cap and rotor... If the cap is leaking it will cause all kinds of unexplained issues... Had one this summer... Ran good until it hit 3k rpm.... Needed a magnifying glass to see the leak in the cap.[/Q
Thank you I will change it. Any idea where I can find the proper specs to look at the values the the code reader puts out? And ok to use an aftermarket cap on amazon or should I get a factory cap?

Mark/Chris Thank you so much for your help. My plan is to remove the engine cover and add a new cap and rotor next week. I will also hook up my fuel guage to the high speed rail. Chris I have a rinda tech mate pro. Any tips on using it or a spec on what the values should be to further troubleshoot are appreciated. Alan

I added a couple of pictures of the distributor and cap. Was disappointed in the quality. Would the corrosion cause a the mfi to shut down at higher rpm?

Thank you everyone for your help. Turned out to be a clogged fuel cell. Next is to clean the rail and the injectors. Boat makes wide open rpm now.

Back