Logo

2003 Honda 90hp Never starts on key turn have to push throttle down even when warm?

Baltimore Dave

I have a 2003 90 hp that runs like a top. Recently it has become more difficult to start as I always have to push the throttle down to start it. In the past this was always the case when it was cold but after the first start I was always able to start by just turning the key for the remainder of the day. I did notice that I have a "PRI" diaphragm assembly attached to the throttle that I believe controls the priming for starting. It has what looks like a vacuum hose on the top and should pull up the throttle when the engine is cranked. Do these go bad? Is there a way to test the part or the vacuum level of the hose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

I'm not the "go to" guy on these but I will offer an opinion anyway. Can't resist:>)

As far as diaphragms (or any other mechanical device) going bad, yes, it can. The diaphragm can rupture or the actuator rod can stick.

However, in this case, the diaphragm is known as a "dashpot" by many of us mechanics and typically has nothing to do with starting or fuel enrichment. The PRI designation does not stand for "prime". If you look further down the parts list you will see another PRI designation associated with a throttle cable "stay"
(bracket) and THAT item is completely removed from any fuel flow reference.

Dashpots are employed as anti-stall devices and used to briefly hold the carburetor throttle plates open when the throttle control is rapidly pulled back from high speed settings to keep the engine running.

As to your complaint, I would more likely suspect that some other component or engine wear is probably causing this. A couple of suggestions would be:

Spark plugs....when were they last replaced?
Valve lash.....when were the valves last adjusted?

Those are two items I would check first for this. Plugs do wear and the spark gap widens over time.

Valve faces slowly sink into their seats and can change (close) the rocker to stem gap.

Both can and will alter the way the engine starts and idles.

And, of course, carburetors do get deposits built up internally over time and cause similar issues.

But my first two suspects are plugs and valve adjustment.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It might be as simple as the idle rpms set low.

Honestly, if all I had to do was to put it up on high idle to start it, I wouldn't be real concerned, or put another way, concerned enough to pay somebody to check it out....

That's me though. -Al

Back