Logo

Chrysler 440 exhaust manifold gaskets

captain_ed

Regular Contributor
I used the green gaskets from Osco about 5 years ago on my exhaust system. I developed an exhaust leak. I found the exhaust maniflod gaskets had blown out the bottom of the manifold/head joint. I will be using header gaskets this time. I also noticed the gaskets on the risers had worn out. The joint between the exhaust manifold and riser had the water jacket holes worn through. Normally the gasket keeps these holes blocked. My maniflods and risers are raw water cooled and engine block is fresh water (antifreeze). No water got into the exhaust chamber. I wonder how this would effect the cooling or engine performance? It seems like a metal gasket would be better, but they are always paper. Is there a better gasket/ source?

Thanks.

I used the green gaskets from Osco about 5 years ago on my exhaust system. I developed an exhaust leak. I found the exhaust maniflod gaskets had blown out the bottom of the manifold/head joint. I will be using header gaskets this time. I also noticed the gaskets on the risers had worn out. The joint between the exhaust manifold and riser had the water jacket holes worn through. Normally the gasket keeps these holes blocked. My maniflods and risers are raw water cooled and engine block is fresh water (antifreeze). No water got into the exhaust chamber. I wonder how this would effect the cooling or engine performance? It seems like a metal gasket would be better, but they are always paper. Is there a better gasket/ source?

Thanks.

If your manifolds and "risers" a.k.a. elbows are raw water cooled, the water passage holes in the joint between the manifold and the elbow are usually open, unless in your particular application, the elbows have their own raw water feed hose.

Back