Logo

purchased 1967 200 20 hp . compression 59 both. >top speed is 6 mph

Now we're talking, that's a pretty girl. I doubt you have exactly 59 psi on each cylinder, try another compression tester. You paid on the high side unless it is in really nice original condition but I have over 30 engines in my collection and I've overpaid for some of them and stole some really nice ones so it evens out. Check for spark on both cylinders, sounds like you are running on one and 6 mph is all you're going to get on one cylinder firing. It has a phelon ignition system so just a standard magneto with coils getting pricey. Go through it after you get a better compression reading. Plenty of parts still available if you hunt a little. Standard repair items are water pump, gearoil, carb and fuel pump rebuild, clean points and replace condensers, that should get her to light off with a couple of pulls on the rope. Got any pictures of her?

Thank you for your interest and help.
i have never owned an outboard before. strangely i feel a strong connection with this creature. would love for her to perform at least half of her full potential.
starts first pull every time. electric start same.

both plugs have white spark
As suggested I will get compression check done with another tool

mygirl.jpg20200929_155703.jpg20200929_185423.jpg

Last edited:
Your motor an 80/81 model. The electric start pieces are worth a small fortune to the right person. Check for spark on both cylinders.

The blue decals came out in 1972.-----Something funny going on with serial # and color / style of decals.------So it is not a 1967 model and the decals are also not for an 80 / 81 model.

So it has electronic ignition.----Test for strong spark on both leads.---Must jump a gap of 3/8" with ease.-----Compression should be around 120 PSI.-----Also there are known issues with the crankshaft ball bearings.----Just not durable enuff for this design motor.

Spark is looking great on both. Tested compression again today using different tool as suggested from auto zone.
Top was 58.9
Bottom 60

I USED digital reader purchased on Amazon for $25 first time.

Both compression measurements were at 59

I would really like to know if I it is worth me shelling out more than I already have 500+

Thank you to all for your help. It feels good to know I'm at least at the only forum that has any valuable info.

You can remove an intake cover on the side of the engine block to inspect pistons / rings.------Do that before you spend any money on this motor.

Your motor an 80/81 model. The electric start pieces are worth a small fortune to the right person. Check for spark on both cylinders.
Why so valuable?
Where might i find the "right person"?
If I am unable to get her up to top performance, it'd be nice to get some of her valuable organs transplanted to the right donor

Last edited:
The same starter worked on the 7.5, 9.8 and the 20hp, I have an electric start 7.5 with the same starter. Not many produced and the starter had issues so it's valuable. If the engine is truly newer than 1976 it has stainless steel driveshaft and shiftshaft in the gearcase making it valuable as a replacement for certain earlier models with carbon steel parts that led to gearcase failure. It has hot spark so those ignition components are worth additional money to the right crowd. Johnsoldmercurysite.com is the place to sell the parts or get guidance to someone who will buy the parts.

Why so valuable?
Where might i find the "right person"?
If I am unable to get her up to top performance, it'd be nice to get some of her valuable organs transplanted to the right donor
I would personally find another motor and test drive it this time. Then take your electric start parts and put it on that one. The starters can be rebuilt easily enough, it is the pinion end and and flywheel that are almost impossible to find.

Last edited:
Well it turns out your are correct to challenge the same starter for the 7.5, 9.8 working on a 20. I researched part numbers and an unable to cross reference it to the 20. I know a guy in Kenosha Wi that I thought was able to validate this since he owns a barn full of 200's and 7.5's and 110's some with electric start but he hasn't responded so I'll stand corrected unless I hear otherwise.

You can remove an intake cover on the side of the engine block to inspect pistons / rings.
the repair manual i have has very low quality pictures (1960's) and i don't even know where the pistons are. is there somewhere with better references i can get visual help from?
thank you.

so find another motor and put this starter in it. any motor is compatible. then trash the rest
73-80/81 motors will work. keep the lower unit and all the electronics off of your motor. The intake covers are on the side the motor. Will have to remove starter and solenoid to see them.

According to serial # 7109749 its 1967. what am i not understanding?
Is this a Frankenstein? bunch of different year parts with only 67 shell?

Last edited:
So how did you determine that this is a 1967 model.----Where was the motor produced ?----Are you doubting other posts ?----Sorry, have to ask---Are you working on your first motor ?

[QUOTE Why does that motor have Duct tape on the upper cowling. [/QUOTE]

thank you for this information.
It's actually a 1 ft x 6 inch vinyl wrap covering scratches

Sorry I screwed up on the yr it comes up as a 1978 model. That lines up with the decals and everything else . That is my fault because the serial # is Canadian and I went off of the U.S. Table.

Last edited:
I apologize to anyone feeling as though I might be doubting them, that is surely not my intention. I only seek truth and friendship.

Last edited:
Back