Logo

Sherwood E-35 Pump rebuild newbie questions

newsailor130

guys, any tips on how to press in the bushing without a fancy slide hammer? like a piece of pvc or socket wrench socket or something? Also, do I grease the bushing first? With what.... oh, and the new impeller, what do I grease that with, if anything? (some people say soap?) And finally, what about the gasket? treat with anything? Sorry for all the dumb questions. It's my first rebuild. (Sherwood E35 Pump on CH-220 engine vintage 1998 or so.)

I'd never try to install one with a slide hammer....best done with a mandrel and a press...the trick is to start the bushing into the bore squarely and maintain uniform pressure...

for the impeller, you want something NON-petroleum based...soapy water is ok...silicone spray is another option...an real thin smear of silicone grease will work too. just make sure you rotate the impeller in the same direction the engine does. If it goes in backwards, it won't provide any cooling flow...

And Sherwood recommends using Permatex #1 on the back of the cam to eliminate voids.

guys, any tips on how to press in the bushing without a fancy slide hammer? like a piece of pvc or socket wrench socket or something? Also, do I grease the bushing first? With what.... oh, and the new impeller, what do I grease that with, if anything? (some people say soap?) And finally, what about the gasket? treat with anything? Sorry for all the dumb questions. It's my first rebuild. (Sherwood E35 Pump on CH-220 engine vintage 1998 or so.)

I'm with Mark. No slide hammer.
Instead, press it into position with the proper bushing installation tool.

TIP
.....put the bushing in your freezer for a while.
....warm the pump housing just a bit.
....the mild contraction from chilling the bushing, and the mild expansion from warming the housing, will lesson the interference fit, and will make it easier to install.

As for lubricating the impeller, I agree... no petroleum products.
Glycerin works very well.

Back