Logo

1989 25hp Evinrude has two major issues.

Frank S

Hello! I'm new to boating and outboards but have been learning 'on the job' so to speak. My Evinrude 25hp (1989) has two issues which are pretty annoying.

Number one is that under load (pushing a Dejon 14 at around 8 knots) the engine develops a bad misfire/power loss which I was told could be coil break up under load or a fuel issue. So far I have:
Replaced the fuel line from tank to engine (with inline filter).
Fitted new fuel pump.
Stripped/cleaned carb and refitted with OEM carb kit.
Fitted new spark plugs
Fitted new HT leads
Fitted new coil packs
If it helps I can attach a video of what the engine is doing!

Number two is that after two months on the water I have now lost forward gear three times but only when shifting from reverse-neutral-forward. The gear doesn't grind or knock at all and the control arm has full throw, and seems to engage ok from the shift lever into the top mechanism. With the engine shut down and lever in position I cannot crank the engine suggesting that the dog clutch is engaged. However once running the control arm moves fully forward without engaging the gear. As I said there is no discernible noise at all, such as grinding or knocking. It just doesn't do anything!

Run with a timing light to see if you can pinpoint ignition / spark issues.-----Is the powerpack / CDI unit still mounted under the flywheel , yes or no ?----There is a switch in the remote control ( if equipped with that ) that prevents cranking if not in neutral.----That has nothing to do with where the clutch dog actually is.------Is the lower shift rod fully screwed down into the gearcase , yes or no ?

Run with a timing light to see if you can pinpoint ignition / spark issues.-----Is the powerpack / CDI unit still mounted under the flywheel , yes or no ?----There is a switch in the remote control ( if equipped with that ) that prevents cranking if not in neutral.----That has nothing to do with where the clutch dog actually is.------Is the lower shift rod fully screwed down into the gearcase , yes or no ?

Thank you for your quick response! Boat is coming out of the water tomorrow so will check all of these areas! The remote control is extremely basic (2 lever type) with no switches at all. The engine is manual start only... no electrics on board the vessel!

couldn't post video yet as it seems to require a facebook/youtube link.
Just made it now... hope this sheds some light on the matter!
Reminds me of a video someone posted on here not long ago..Had a missing bolt that war into top of block for some linkage and it did something similar.That was for an older motor for the interlock for pull starter though.

Last edited:
Back