Logo

Newbie Needs Help

Hi all, I recently inherited my dad's 2002 Princecraft with a 50hp Johnson four stroke. He had the owner's manual for the boat, bimini top, and original sale paperwork but nothing on the motor. I am winterizing it for the first time and have a couple of questions that I'm not seeing convincing answers to anywhere online.

1. What is the proper procedure for changing the lower unit oil? There are 3 plugs on the side of the lower unit. The bottom drain plug is not labeled. The top front plug is labeled "oil" and the top rear plug is "flush". All 3 plugs are identical, and the top 2 are at the same elevation. After draining oil with all 3 plugs removed, I reinstalled the bottom plug and slowly filled using the "oil" plug figuring the flush plug would allow it to vent. I filled it until oil ran out of the oil plug. Then reinstalled all of the plugs, tilted motor up, removed bottom plug, connected a pump from oil bottle, and lowered motor to minimize oil loss. Then I removed both top plugs and pumped oil up until it ran out the oil plug in a stead stream ( just a couple of pumps). Then I reinstalled the oil plug and pumped a few more times figuring it would run out the flush plug, but this never happened. Installed flush plug and swapped the pump for the drain plug minimizing oil loss. It does not appear that the flush plug is related to the lower unit oil... Any idea what it is for?

2. I was only able to find 3 grease fittings - should there be more, and how many pumps should I put into each?

3. Any information available for recommended engine oil viscosity and capacity?

4. I have seen conflicting information online about whether it is necessary to fill the water pump with antifreeze or just move it through full range of motion slowly to allow it to fully drain. The boat will be stored in an unheated garage over the winter.

Thanks all!

Those Johnson 4-stroke engines were really just re-badged Suzuki outboards. Take a look at this link. You'll find all the service info you need for this engine. Also, since it's a 4-stroke you'll want to get a new filter and change the engine oil as well.

https://dk-media.s3.amazonaws.com/AA/AR/wetbristol/downloads/294332/Suzuki_DF_50_servce_manual.pdf

Thanks for sharing that manual! I see the flush plug is shown on one of the graphics (but not identified), but I couldn't find anything in the manual indicating what it is used for. Any idea?

Back