Logo

1976 Mercury 1500 engine help

Saleen27

Recently bought a 77 Glastron with a 150hp 6cyl on the back. The first 3 times out it ran great, some issues with dying while going into and switching from forward to reverse but would get the boat to 35mph no problem. It ran pretty low on fuel the last time out and today it wouldn’t even get the boat on a plane. Sounds like it’s only running on some of the cylinders. I’m going to change plugs and some other miscellaneous corroded wires but have some questions on unhooked tubing coming from front bottom of engine. Will post pics, if someone with some insight on this engine can help I’d appreciate it
98AC3325-007E-4CC4-AFC4-B71161E1B4AF.jpg
The yellow circled tubes are unhooked and am unsure what they go to and the blue circled wires are severely corroded and are coming from the stator I assume? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

"Tubes"?

Those two yellow wires are for battery charging. Does your battery still crank it over okay? If not--since the ignition runs on a full 12 volts--that could be your problem.

Jeff

Yah it starts and runs no problem. The tubes are in the yellow highlighted circle in the pic. I’m not sure if they were connected to each other or what

After looking at it more it appears the larger disconnected tube came from a fuel inlet area with a disconnect on outside of engine. It has been bypassed with prime ball and edelbrock fuel pump. Any possible insight as to why the engine may have started acting up out of no where? I’m going to look into fuel system and make sure everything there is fine and check spark on all cylinders.

Back