Logo

leaking at very top of front of vro and overheat issue

basssmith

I have 1997 johnson 200 venom j2oostleub that is indicating hot temp led on check system and it goes into s.l.o.w. mode when it heats up.
Would the leak at vro cause the engine to heat up? Thinking I need a new vro but want overheat to go away too. Cannot touch the heads even after idle for 5 minutes. New thermostats were installed and problem still exists. Impeller is a year old and I have rather hot water coming out pee hole. Noticed after priming it with bulb, gas is seeping up out of the top of the front of vro (not where its joined to the main body with gasket,but at the top where there's no seam) seems like the plastic is porous or deteriorated microscopically and leaks and after the bulb has been pumped...the seepage goes away for the most part when the motor is running. It also slows way down when I open the throttle (not running). Any body know if this is a common failure for vro and if such a failure cause "hot" led to come on and s.l.o.w. to kick in?

Thanks. Both thermostats are new and impeller is less than year old. Always change them out every two years.
I guess the impeller can fail and be the problem(overheat). I thought I read somewhere that VRO's can cause an overheat condition.
Its the $500 VRO seepage that really bums me out. The gas seepage out of the front top part has me stumped.
I could understand if it were leaking at a gasket by torque screws, but its seeping out of the top of the cover just beyond the silicone looking square piece held on to the front with (four torque screws) that everybody tells you never to remove.
The engine runs great at 50- 60 mph and never overheats, the "hot" led (s.l.o.w.) only occurs at trolling out of "no wake" zones speed.
Anybody out there with input on similar issues before I spend $500 on a VRO? (this one is 5 years old...a genuine Johnson part)

IMG_4802 4.jpg Leak shown circled in red seeps out of the black plastic molded disk (round piece) sitting atop the VRO. Wipe it away and within seconds it seeps back up. This occurs after pumping bulb, mostly diminishes if I open throttle (not running), and goes away while engine is running.

Attachments

• IMG_4804 2.jpg
    IMG_4804 2.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
No idea why opening the throttle ( not running ) would have anything to do with leakage there !!----That makes no sense at all as nothing from throttle is connected.

Ok. But it still leaks there, and my question is should I replace the entire VRO or is the front housing available to buy? I see that repair kits only contain the diaphram etc. any idea as to where the housing new or used could be obtained?

Phoenix arizona...58 days this summer of over 110 degrees F...130 days so far of over 100 and no end in sight...lake water temps 86-90 degrees F.

Why easy in Canada? Wouldn't it be an easy fix here?

I have some of these VRO housings in boxes / parts motors.-----No shipping to USA.----After all this site does not ship to Canada either.

I have some of these VRO housings in boxes / parts motors.-----No shipping to USA.----After all this site does not ship to Canada either.

Ouch!
So if I did find a housing here, can I remove the four torque screws holding the front of that VRO (part that has silicone skin over it) and attach it to the replacement housing.
I read you should never remove that part and I don't want to do that if its a no-no. Not even sure what that is (motor for pump?)
Your expertise is greatly appreciated. Should you want to mail me one I'd make it worth your effort. :cool:

You can't believe everything you read !-----Just take that warning module off.-----Re-assemble carefully.----Then test the warning function on your " rebuilt " VRO pump.----Easy as can be.----The VRO pump does NOT HAVE an electric motor to pump anything !----The AIR motor to pump fuel / oil is at the other end.--------evinrudeparts.ca----Might be able to assist you.

Back