Logo

Using a 1989 Evinrude 90HP regulator/rectifier on a 1987 Evinrude 90HP

YngwieL

As I mentioned in a older post,

Motors I'm referencing are: 1987 Evinrude 90HP E90TLCUR and a 1989 Evinrude 90HP E90TLCEM - both have the tilt / trim on both motors, so I am the luck one that uses the $$$ regulator/rectifier

Anyways, I disconnected the wire that's attached to the gray wire that comes from the regulator/rectifier to the wiring terminal, and touched it to the bolt head of the Yellow / Red wire right above it, and when i did that, I seen that the tach moved. So by reading, its saying that the regulator/rectifier is probably toast. I was wondering, is it possible to use a jumper wire from the yellow / red wire, down to where the gray wire is connected, right below it? I have a 1987 Evinrude 90HP.. and was hoping the regulator/rectifier from the 1989 Evinrude 90HP would work, but they appear to be different in that on the 87, the red wire leads over to the starter solenoid, and on the 89, the red wire leads to the wiring terminal along with the other 4 wires.

So since the red wire on the 1987
regulator/rectifier runs over to the starter solenoid, then appears to run from the starter solenoid back over to the wire terminal, couldn't I use the one on the 1989, and instead of running the red wire straight to the wire terminal like it currently is on the 1989, just run it to the starter solenoid as well like it is on the 1987? just think of ways to save 200+ bucks.

The RED wire simply supplies 12v to the regulator/rectifier assembly. It makes no difference if you run it to the terminal strip, the solenoid, or directly to the battery.

The RED wire simply supplies 12v to the regulator/rectifier assembly. It makes no difference if you run it to the terminal strip, the solenoid, or directly to the battery.

perfect, thank you.

can I ask, what are some of the issue that can arise from a faulty regulator/rectifier, other then the tachometer issue?

The ignition system to make spark does not use 12 volts from the battery.-----The regulator / rectifier is part of the battery charging system.----If that does not work the battery will eventually go dead.

perfect, thank you.

can I ask, what are some of the issue that can arise from a faulty regulator/rectifier, other then the tachometer issue?

The main issue, and I suggest strongly that you do not ignore it is...... The regulator/rectifier assembly will become so hot that it will catch on fire, and being hidden by the hood, by the time you realize what is taking place, the fire will have destroyed the ignition system... and God know what all else should you have a minor fuel leak. Be aware that it is not a question of "IF"... it is a question of "WHEN". Saw it happen many times!

Plan a family outing, boating, skiing, picnic, invite the inlaws, relatives. If your luck's anything like mine... that'll do it! :cool:

The main issue, and I suggest strongly that you do not ignore it is...... The regulator/rectifier assembly will become so hot that it will catch on fire, and being hidden by the hood, by the time you realize what is taking place, the fire will have destroyed the ignition system... and God know what all else should you have a minor fuel leak. Be aware that it is not a question of "IF"... it is a question of "WHEN". Saw it happen many times!

Plan a family outing, boating, skiing, picnic, invite the inlaws, relatives. If your luck's anything like mine... that'll do it! :cool:

Yea, and God knows, gas ain't no joke.. currently draining my tank since is loaded with water..got a decent water / fuel separator, but with the amount of water in the tank, I spend more time draining the bowl on the filter..then I'll clean it out.. think the water somehow got in through the gas fill cap area..noticed no rubber gasket or seal on the bottom side of the cap, so I imagine with all the rain we were getting, it probably got in through there.

Once done, I'll swap out the regulator / rectifier with the one one the 1989..if everything checks out and works, I'll be happy. And I'll keep an eye on the temp..do these regulators / rectifiers stay warm to the touch, just getting warm from the heat of the engine only?

The ones that mount on top of the block ( with gasket ) are actually water cooled.

that's good to know. than you

side note, got the tank all cleaned out 100%.. looks like a new tank. got new lines, bulb, filter, carbs rebuilt. went ot fire her up, and wouldn't start, kept trying, nothing.. was turning over, but wouldn't fire. Checked spark, no spark.. spent 2 hours trying to wrap my brain around what could possible be wrong, when it has spark before I cleaned the tank.. went to be confused. woke up and the first thought I had as I opened my eyes.. literally, was "I don't think I hooked the safety switch back up" as I was going to replace that and the ignition key due to the ignition key sticking in the start position, not springing back to the run position. needless to say, I felt like a knucklehead.. but I learned something new for future reference..

Back