Logo

Metal gasket in impeller kit - not sure if I can/should use it (Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha Gen 2)

cmcbride

I ordered an impeller kit from Amazon (Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha Gen 2). I was expecting the larger paper style gasket to go below the wear plate like I've seen in all of the videos and parts lists. Instead I received a metal gasket which is much thinner, similar size to upper gasket (above wear plate). The kit did not have any instructions.

Has anyone seen this and can confirm it's OK? I'm assuming install is: metal gasket, sealant, wear plate, sealant, upper "paper" gasket with rubber strip facing up (toward upper housing).

I searched the forums and didn't see any mention of this topic.

2020-09-23_12-57-09.png2020-09-22_8-09-29.png

Thanks,
Cliff

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I called the mechanic that had done previous yearly services and he said the metal gaskets are fine. They paper ones would blowout sometimes, so some kits replaced with metal. I finished the project today, but would be interested to know if anyone else has an opinion on this topic.

I ordered an impeller kit from Amazon (Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha Gen 2). I was expecting the larger paper style gasket to go below the wear plate like I've seen in all of the videos and parts lists. Instead I received a metal gasket which is much thinner, similar size to upper gasket (above wear plate). The kit did not have any instructions.

Has anyone seen this and can confirm it's OK? I'm assuming install is: metal gasket, sealant, wear plate, sealant, upper "paper" gasket with rubber strip facing up (toward upper housing).

I searched the forums and didn't see any mention of this topic.

View attachment 25073View attachment 25074

Thanks,
Cliff

Back