Logo

Johnson gt150.. long shaft or short shaft.. estimated value if running

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
Found a johnson gt150 running, how can i tell if its long or short shaft. Its on a bass boat right now, so I'm assuming its a short shaft.

Guy said its about 20" what would be a good price for this if its a long shaft? Brand new prop as well.

Can anyone tell me if I should stay away? I would do compression check and barrel test, guy said $2,000 but flexible, comes with all controls

Last edited:
I do not believe they made any 15" transom 150 HP models.------They did make 25 " models.----Model # tells you what it is.

So the motor is a long shaft over 20+ inches, how would this motor work on a 17’ bluefin sportsman? Also whats a good price in NewYork?

Guy says it runs and works great,owner sent me pictures of powerhead and prop. I will post all pics here. Maybe you can see obvious damage or loose wires.

Last edited:
There is much confusion still about shaft length.------It has to do with the transom height !!-----15" is short shaft.----20" is long shaft.-----25" high transom is extra long.-----30" high transom is double extra long.-----All have the same amount of motor under the boat !!!

There is much confusion still about shaft length.------It has to do with the transom height !!-----15" is short shaft.----20" is long shaft.-----25" high transom is extra long.-----30" high transom is double extra long.-----All have the same amount of motor under the boat !!!

here is a picture with tape measure for reference please click picture for a larger version

Way to much for a 87-88 model motor..especially a crossflow. You can get a looper of later year if you look hard enough

???-----Loose wires or damage that you can see do not determine the value of one of these motors !!!!-----These motor have a habit of breaking the piston rings.---Yes they do.-------So a compression test is in order before handing over any coins !----Even then you need to be prepared to overhaul this motor.----Doubt you can do that yourself and could cost $5000 at a good shop !!

???-----Loose wires or damage that you can see do not determine the value of one of these motors !!!!-----These motor have a habit of breaking the piston rings.---Yes they do.-------So a compression test is in order before handing over any coins !----Even then you need to be prepared to overhaul this motor.----Doubt you can do that yourself and could cost $5000 at a good shop !!

You doubted correctly(thought you believed in me haha), racerone you have been helping me from the start. I sold the boat and will stick to the 1965 Evinrude big twin 40hp with a smaller boat.

Back