Logo

Mercury 4 hp stuck in forward

RNS

Hi everyone!
Could someone help me in solving the issue with my Mercury 4 hp! I don't know the year (it's old), serial # 7146779, has only forward and neutral. After removing lower unit to replace the impeller I've put it all back together but now it's been stuck in forward gear and doesn't shift to neutral. The shaft goes up and down but the prop is in gear all the time and doesn't turn freely in neutral. Any ideas please?
Thanks a lot

The shift rod is attached to the shift lever in the upper part of the motor. It doesn't turn. It only goes up and down. I can't attach any pictures to my post. Don't know why. Thanks

As far as I recall it would be - Remove lower unit again, push gear shift lever fully down until lower unit is in Neutral (prop turns freely), make sure the shift lever is fully pressed down, refit lower unit, make sure shift change handle is in neutral then re-connect shift change rod.

If you start a file like "litphoto", you just access your photos (once your in litphoto), then adjust picture size to under 1000k. Litphoto will create a file for these adjusted photos, then you can add these to your post. Click on "go advanced" under your post, then click on the paper clip up in the toolbar and then follow the directions.

Back