Logo

Best Time, Place, Way to Buy a New Outboard

Ahoy

Thinking about buying a new outboard, to replace my 1985 Johnson 20hp. Never been disappointed with a Honda motor on anything, so that's what I have in mind. What are some tips on finding the best deal on a new motor?

Find a dealer with a decent reputation....they are typically responsible for installation and setup of your engine....and they are key to a 'success'....

Totally agree with Makomark. It's the dealer who will make or break the deal. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish (which probably gives away my age.) Bargain hunting for the lowest price for a given outboard will often get you to the lowest-service dealer. Research the dealer and look at all on-line ratings. And recognized that there is a certain part of the population that will never be satisfied with anything.

If you post your location, there may be others on this forum who could make an informed recommendation for your area..

But what specific value does the dealer provide for a small outboard of a known brand? Like I mentioned, I'm looking primarily at a Honda, and a 20hp is light enough that I could mount it myself, if it came to that. What would I look for in a dealer?

ALL OUTBOARDS, no matter the make or model will have issues, either sooner or later. Besides, I think you can only buy a Honda through a dealer. You will want a good source for parts and advice. Dealer provides:

1. Correct installation, especially correct height and anchoring.
2. Warranty service and repair.
3. Parts & advice.
4. Correct expendables for the particular engine (oil, filters, etc.)

A dealer would check the motor for you.-----Start it and test it.------Answer any questions you might have.-----Show you how to start / operate this fine machinery.----Worth money to have that service !

Back