Logo

50 hp Evinrude bogs down after initial thrust - not the carbs!

Shady

Hello,

I have a 1987 (I believe) Johnson Evinrude 50hp Outboard. My initial problem was the engine would only run at like a 3rd of the speed it normally could. The main consensus was my carburatuerrs. Taking this advice, I did a full rebuild of my carbs and also rebuilt the fuel pump for good measure.

Cleaning the carbs helped but did not fix my problem. My engine idles fantastically - it hadn't idled very well without dying for the last 5 years.

However, when I got the boat on the water, it initially accelerated like normal, and I was very happy that everything was fixed. But after about 3 seconds, it bogged down and would only accelerate at about a 3rd of it's normal speed. If you let off the gas for a second and re-accelerate, it will do the same thing again. Prior to rebuilding the carbs it wouldn't do this, it would just run at a 3rd of it's normal speed from the start. I'm no professional, but I'm pretty darn sure I rebuilt the carbs well and that there's nothing more that can be done there.

Another thing to note, the boat runs close to max speed when holding the choke down. Unfortunately, I did not try this before cleaning the carbs so I can't compare the two.

In my opinion, it seems like the boat isn't getting enough fuel.

Has anybody seen this problem before or think they know a solution?

Thanks!

Simple facts-----Most folks pick on the carburetors first.-----Yet they often overlook the wee brass high speed jet found screwed into the float bowl.------Often overlook damaged deteriorated hoses.------And I am not sure what you mean with ---" holding choke down " on this motor.------It does not have the traditional choke flappers !----Perhaps you mean that pushing in the key helps the motor to run.----On that motor there is a primer valve that opens when you push the key in.----Then fuel is pushed directly into the engine.----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetors.------So what other trouble shooting and work are you prepared to do.-----Could be as simple as test running with another tank and hose.

Yes, by choke I meant primer, excuse my limited vocabulary.

My next step was going to be to try it with a new fuel hose, I just wanted to get some opinions on here first in case there was something more obvious to other people.

Back