Logo

1965 Evinrude 40HP nothing from keystart after removal from boat

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
Hello all, on this 1965 evinrude 40hp after removing it from the boat I am getting nothing from the keystart?

for testing purposes I was able to jump the relay and get the motor to start but the key is not even giving a click from the starter solenoid. There were 2-3 lights mounted in the wire harness I did remove, maybe one could have been a man ground, they were all connected to one toggle switch.

Starter solenoid and keyswitch are about 3 weeks old, recently installed. my guess is I knocked a wire lose somewhere in the harness? I sanded and cleaned the battery terminals as well as all starter relay connections and ground.

the motor ran when bypassing the keyswitch at the starter relay. Where should I look? If i wanted to replace the 10 bay wire terminal connector where can I get one?

Throttle set to far toward "fast"?

Safety switch defective? As a test, ground the white safety switch wire.

I will try all these things, just very odd considering it all worked before removal. My guess is by moving everything a loose wire was knocked or uncovered.

Throttle set to far toward "fast"?

Safety switch defective? As a test, ground the white safety switch wire.

Is the safety switch located under the flywheel connected to vacuum switch? I sprayed the terminals with this battery terminal connection protective red substance in a can, I cleaned them thoroughly. How can I replace the 10 bay (TOTAL 20 BAYS) terminal connector where the wires connect. I want to replace all wire terminals for cleaning.

Back