Logo

Exhaust Holes in 1968 3hp Johnson JHL-23M

Swarlos

Regular Contributor
I took the old 1968 3hp out for a spin today (JHL-23M Rigid Standard Gearcase). There are about 6 exhaust holes on the back of it, but there was very little water coming out of them. If I put my hand out I could feel that there was moisture in the exhaust, but it was hard to see water coming out. Is this normal or should I do some work on my cooling system?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds correct with just some water misting out.----If you do not know the condition / age of the impeller you should install a new one.

I replaced the impeller this spring, that's why I was concerned. It may have meant more drastic measures. Thanks for the reply

The majority of the cooling water as it leaves the powerhead is directed straight down. As it passes those small holes, the exhaust simply blows a mist out to verify that water is present.

Thanks Joe, it's just so much less water than a telltale or even my '75 6hp shows that I wanted to ask the experts.

Right.....like the boys said, it's just a misty spray. Another test is to remove the big screw just behind tiller handle (rear). Then you will see the actual water flow.

Back