Logo

which johnson 5 -6 hp carb kit to buy and where from???

daijinks

Hello everyone.
I am hoping to draw on your knowledge and experience to help with my current fix.

I’ve bought a nice Johnson 5 hp. Plated - Illinois, USA 1996 - Model No - BJ5DRLEUC ( I mostly understand what each letter stands for apart from the C at the end) Serial No - 04197615.

I need to buy a good quality suitable replacement carb kit for it. (ive read the cheap ones on the internet from the far east are of poor quality and break).
So I need a good brand and any help finding one here in the UK or Europe where I live, If not, then from the US somewhere. Preferably I don’t want to spend lots of money on delivery for such a small, light item.

Carb kit part number 0431897

I have read that in order to up-rate this carb from a 5 to a 6 hp, you only simply need to change the main jet and nothing else.

Is this the case??

And are there new jets included in the kit? Can you specify the size needed?

If so, are these jets parts called ‘high speed orifice No .38 6R/6SL’ ?? part number 0323149 which is listed on the part diagram.

If I buy the carb kit for the 6hp, are all the gaskets etc the same as the 5 hp and only the one jet is different.?

To add to my confusion, the kits I have seen online run up to 1996 then start again from 1997 onward.

Even thou my model plate says BJ5DRLEUC 1996. On the reference model number chart, a 1996 is BJ5DRLEDS and the BJ5DRLEUC is a 1997.

Is it simply that mine was a model made later in the year and so badged into the next year?

Im also in need of a new impeller from the same supplier.

Many thanks to all in advance with this.

Dai

Back