Logo

09 Pro XS 225 No power

TxRedfish

Hello all,
I'm new here to Mercury but not to outboards. I have a 2009 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS Ser#1B765273 Mod# 1225D83EY
The problem I'm having is the engine won't turn over 1200rpm in the water. On the hose it will hit the rev limit in neutral and will throttle fine in gear.
I thought it was simply a bad fuel issue, as the fuel in the tank was yellowing with a bit of varnishing from sitting to long. I drained and flushed tank and refueled with 90 oct ethanol free fuel from local marina and changed filter in VST as well as plugs because they looked really black and sooty, I thought from the bad fuel. I have 80psi air pressure at port rail and 90psi fuel at starboard, the boost pump or vst valve is 35psi.I changed VST to a known good unit just to be sure there was no issue there. I have checked the injector operation with scanner, they are all actuating, but not sure if they are truly working. I have done a cylinder drop test on all 6 cylinders and all are hitting. Checked the ohms on crank sensor just to be sure it's not on the way out. It is at top of spec, but in my experience they either work or don't. There were no fault codes present and during live readings on trailer, I didn't notice any irregular voltage or % readings working the throttle up from idle. What am I missing? I guess compression test, but really don't suspect cylinder failure and it starts and idles way to smooth for me to think reeds. HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

Back